Fitting a DIFFERENT ENGINE to a mk1 1999 punto!!

Hardtranceaddict

Car
Punto 60s 1.2i
Hi, i'm looking to fit a new(from breakers) engine to my punto and i'm wondering if i can fit a 16v rather than the 8v i have, or if i can fit a multipoint injection system engine instead of single point, without too much trouble? I'm aware that the ecu may need changing also- is this true?? thanks all in advance!!:bigsmile:

Hi there it sounds like you are starting an exciting project there. I've heard of people doing a head swap on the GT1 to GT3 for example. You will need to change the ECU and probably also the gearbox.

Which engine were you thinking of swapping in?

Hi Waynne,
I'm not at a stage where I have my mind made up as to what engine yet- alot lies on having advice from someone in the know that can say a certain conversion will work sucessfully, bearing in mind that I've only got a little 1.2i 8v single point at the mo..!
I'm also strapped for cash but my engine is nearing the end of it's little hi-profile(thrashed) life, so rather than putting in a replacement, looking to upgrade, if i can!!

Possibly a JTD or maybe just a 16v multipoint 1.2i (or a bit bigger)

Would a multipoint be much quicker tho?

Cheers!!:D:amuse:

Ok Pgarner, thanks for that- I knew it would be a horrific amount of work even if it is possible.. any suggestionz on an engine that will slot in with maybe jst an ecu change anybody:cheesy:?

havent a clue mate,
you could always try the 1.4 turbo engine although this will require beefier suspension and brakes. its not much bigger so should slot in easy enough, although you might need to get some custom mounts made. thatll double your power to around 120.

what every engine you fit unless its the same will require the ECU from the donor engine

The 16 valve 1.2 would be eaisest to do but it is not much of a hike in power. I'll ask around for you and see if I can find one that has been done already.