1.3 to 1.6 diesel engine swap advice please?

blacklineninja

Track Warrior
Basically what it says on the tin. I have a 1.3 diesel engine, the 90bhp 6-speed one, and I want to swap it for the 1.6 diesel engine out of the Grande Punto Sporting.

What I want to know is:

Aside from the new engine, what else do I need?

Will I be able to get the benefit of the lower tax band that the 1.6 fits in?

Who is a reputable remanufactured engine supplier?

I'm aware I can have a remap for £350 and that will take me to 110bhp, but that's never going to be enough for me, I want the 1.6 and remap that. Basically I'm looking for faster acceleration AND cheaper running costs :D.

And I don't want to trade in because I'm a sentimental old sod that falls in love with inanimate objects, plus the 1.6 doesn't come in Azure Blue which I really love.

Thank yous

HI!

"Basically I'm looking for faster acceleration AND cheaper running costs"

I would advice you tho put a bigger turbo on the 1.3 and injectors... I've done a Corsa C with the same engine that you have (he have broken is 1.3 70hp because he had a lot of km) and with a remap I have done and turbo running 1.45 bars constant he made 127hp

For the swap you'll need engine (of cours), gearbox, ECU, wiring loom, IMMO, and i think its all....

So instead of changing the engine, I've been looking at what I can do with what I've got.

Remaps/tuning boxes are the big noise, obviously. There's a DPF-back exhaust system from Piper though for the 1.3 Corsa D SXI which appears to have the engine and chassis supplied by Fiat... could this fit my GP???

First he didn't changed only injectors, the engine he had y13dt with 70hp have broken at 280.000km, so he bought a engine from Astra H 1.3 CDTI with 90hp. From the old engine he only fitted the Common Rail Pump because the guy that had the engine sold it.

The big diference from the 90hp engine to the 70hp engine is the compression ratio, injectors and turbo, all the rest is the same.

With Mechanical pression at 1,45bars (because he has the old ECU that does not support turbo with Variable Geometry) and a strong remap he made 127cv. Next step is to put a bigger turbo, injectors from Hyundai and we expect to achive 170hp.

Ninja your engine is the same as the Opel, those engines are made by PowerTrain and equip Opel/Vauxhall, Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Suzuki and i think it's all

Still don't see you pushing a engine to 1.45 bar boost without upgrading the rods and pistons and feul pump etc. etc.

Ok....I have now made my name stupid for the month of June, glad to have gotten that out of the way so early, now I can get on with it again, thanks for that guys...

Needless to say I know blow al bout diesels, nice to learn though, didn't realise diesels run such high boost, but considering their compression ratios it makes sence.

No you didn't... we are learning every day... And has you live in Australia the Diesel is not known as Petrol cars, and the inverse here... As I know blow about petrol cars.... For example... I'm a remapper and I don't know how to remap Petrol cars, its a completly diferent world and it does not makes sense for me... I can do diesel remaps without problem.

I'll explain to you, the diesel can stand high compression ratios, when I high is very High... for example a 1.9 TDI with 130hp stock does 19.0:1 of compression ratio... there are cases im Portugal doing 3 bars of boost... now imagine how the compression ratio will be...

Not meaning to bump a dead thread, but I would like to reiterate my question would the DPF-back exhaust system from Piper though for the 1.3 Corsa D SXI fit my GP given that the chassis and engine for the Corsa is provided by Fiat?

DPFs are to lower particulate emissions on diesels - these are the tiny particles of soot that go into your lungs. They are a relatively new invention. They hamper performance.

F**k DPF's :lol:

I wouldn't want that on my car.... You cant do a decent remap with a DPF fitted on.

The vauxhall as a DPF on it, Fiat is the same engine so I believe you have it too ;)