females "wrenching" on their own cars??

I've taught my wife the basics like oil changes and changing a wheel. I think it is good for a girl to get stuck in. I still know quite a few bloke who don't like getting their hands dirty though!:lol:

the wife helps me out all the time.
most of the time its hold this that and the next thing ohh and fetch the coffee lol

she can change a wheel, brake pads and discs along with the oil
now never mind the brakes and oil shes the only woman in the 2 offices that can change a wheel. one was going to call out the RAC to do it until karen turned round and said shed do it for her. Ehh howd you know how to do that was the response.

You have to be nice because I am a WOMAN who would rather play with tools under the hood than have a manicure. lol

Marry me? :p

The misses is no good at any of that really and takes the "look at this for me" approach. Then again she bought the car brand new so it's still under warranty, if I was in the same position I'd get the dealers to do everything under warranty too and take it somewhere to get the stamps for a FSH.

I'm surprised at how much she's picking up lately from being around me though. She knows what coilovers are, what a turbo looks like and how it works and more but still seems to think welding in a cage is a five-minute job and can't comprehend the amount of moeny I spend :confused: However, I can't comprehend the sheer amount of shoes and dresses she has :amazed:

i think all women should be able to do it
will make being a mechanic a much better job if your co workers are female

did know know that there are only 8 female mot testers in this country

think its 8 is less then 10 anyway lol
i was shocked when i read it in one of the mot mags i get at work

The misses is no good at any of that really and takes the "look at this for me" approach. Then again she bought the car brand new so it's still under warranty, if I was in the same position I'd get the dealers to do everything under warranty too and take it somewhere to get the stamps for a FSH.

I'm surprised at how much she's picking up lately from being around me though. She knows what coilovers are, what a turbo looks like and how it works and more but still seems to think welding in a cage is a five-minute job and can't comprehend the amount of moeny I spend :confused: However, I can't comprehend the sheer amount of shoes and dresses she has :amazed:

Ha ha hah

I am married already-to my Jaguar.~!~!~!~!~!~!~! LOL~!!~!!!~!~!~!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: You're in trouble now matey! At least he can point at the bits and tell you what they do!;)
Not so Wayne, I took my Jag to the mechanic and told him that the wheel bearing need to be replaced, turns out that I was right. I heard my car making squeaking noises and popping noises and then I took my camera and took a bunch of pics of underneath my car because I couldn't crawl under it to see what was wrong, and then I downloaded them on to my computer to see what I could see. And what I saw was metal flakes flung around on the inside of the wheel along with grease, so I told him that he needed to replace my wheel bearing, I was right. ( had to use the camera cuz there is only 4-5 clearance under my car and I couldn't get underneath it to see). So who's in trouble now????? LOL

Last edited:

Can't marry you, ha ha ha..... I have two husbands already, my Jaguar and my Husband.....LMAO.......ha ha

I think to obtain a licence everyone (male or female) should know/be tested on basic mechanic skills, there is no excuse for a woman not to beable to change a tyre..... imagine how much quicker recovery services would be if they werent getting called out every 5 mins just because a woman didnt know how to change a wheel or didnt know how to check oil levels etc.

obvioulsy if you need to change a wheel at the side of the motorway (male or female) then breakdown should be called for obvious safety reasons

remember pulling into a service station a couple of years back and parked next to about 4 young girls stood next to their car with bonnet up, all stood there looking confussed with a bottle of screen wash and a bottle of water infront of the car. I was praying that they were just having a chat until one of them phoned thier dad to ask where the screen wash went.

Shouldnt be allowed on the road if you cant prove you can keep the car roadworthy in the most basic of ways.

agree with that 2fast
i see it everyday male and female coming into for a mot not even knowing how to change a light bulb or some of the ones you see were they have changed it and ramed the wrong one in

I think to obtain a licence everyone (male or female) should know/be tested on basic mechanic skills, there is no excuse for a woman not to beable to change a tyre..... imagine how much quicker recovery services would be if they werent getting called out every 5 mins just because a woman didnt know how to change a wheel or didnt know how to check oil levels etc.

obvioulsy if you need to change a wheel at the side of the motorway (male or female) then breakdown should be called for obvious safety reasons

remember pulling into a service station a couple of years back and parked next to about 4 young girls stood next to their car with bonnet up, all stood there looking confussed with a bottle of screen wash and a bottle of water infront of the car. I was praying that they were just having a chat until one of them phoned thier dad to ask where the screen wash went.

Shouldnt be allowed on the road if you cant prove you can keep the car roadworthy in the most basic of ways.

Having an elementary grasp of simple stuff like filling screen/headlight washer tanks is not too much to ask of anyone. Male or female.

Isn't it so sad that the general level of intelligence in this country is so tragically low.

No wonder this country is on it's collective knees!

2Fast - love your very well made point. Happy NY btw and how is junior 2F?

think the test has changed slightly although tyre changing isnt in it oil levels, screen wash etc is in there.

There is a bit of mechanical stuff in the test nowadays, I had to do it. The examiner will ask you to open the bonnet and ask you to point out and explain how to check/change 2 of the following:

- Oil
- Screen Wash
- Coolant
- Brake Fluid
- Power Steering Fluid

and they might ask you about legal tyre tread depth.

Nothing you can't figure out from a) the pictures on the lids of most things under the bonnet, b) reading a manual. I think I knew most of that from talking to my dad when I was about 10, he'd already shown me how to change a wheel.

Everyone should learn things like that.

I'd rather 2Fast attacked my car with a set of spanners than I attempted it myself.

I'm master of the 'Spare Bits' syndrome. I can't even dismantle a vacuum cleaner and put it back together without something being left over.