Feingreth moving away!

feingreth

Tuner
Car
Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi
Remember me? I had a renault clio 1.2 8v but now i'm selling it and going to USA with the work and travel program to make some money (I'm from romania). I've been thinking of buying a BMW Compact 318 td full spec, you know... sport seats, navigation, etc etc, but the 320td is much faster and hotter with the M packet, but I heard that there are problems with the turbo from the 150 bhp engine pre 2004 models(At least in England) . I'm planing to buy it from germany. Any suggestions anybody? should i risk it and buy the 150 bhp or lay low and just go for the problem free 116 bhp model? (same engine capacity).

Hi feingreth - ncie to hear from you again. Why not wait till you get into the USA and buy a car there. The BMW turbos are pretty solid - it depends how the car has been looked after. A regular service history is essential along with a careful driver.

I cant buy a car in the USA because I'll be staying only for the summer there. I'll be back by october. This is only a "intercultural exchange program" with the posibility to get your money back by working there but for me it will be only for the money ;) 'cause I want a good old diesel with lots of torque, but also a quality car not just any old diesel, actually I'm still hoping that the prices for the new two door 118td drop, because I want one!!! I'm also considering an Audi A3 quattro also diesel, but I'm starting to get confused :p Audi quattro or rear wheel drive BMW? Can anyone help me with my dilema? :rolleyes:

yes, I want to buy the car when I'll come back from USA. But probably that I'll buy the car in spring because when I'll get back from the USA school will start and I don't think that I'll have time to go to Germany

the BMW 150 diesel should be alright as its now at 204 bhp with the addition of the secon turbo ( currently only avalible in the 1 series as far i as know called the 123 ) dont think too much of the engine was changed in this setup

I hope its alright, anyway I wa to buy a 2004 model which shouldn't have any problems, cause if you google seach "bmw 320 blown turbo", you'll find quite a few.:-?

Choice of drivetrain rwd or 4x4 depends on what you will be doing with the car. A Google search for "Dell battery fire" returns 166,000 results but there has only actually been 1 fire! When you search for a problem you will always find it, I guess forums are the best places to find out trends in cars. I would still say that if the car had been serviced and the correct oil used the turbo should be ok.

The A3 Quattro 2.5TDi is very trouble free and incredibly torquey - this would be my choice but I already have an A3 so I am a bit biased!

I perfectly agree, only bad stuff on forums. Thanks guys for the encouragement, I was really getting uneasy with that engine:p. The Audi 2.5td sounds great but I haven't seen one for sale (at least in Germany)!

yeah thats the idea people go on them to find out their problems. most common ones are easy fixes most of the time.

the 2.5 comes in several tunes depending on age from 115 - 180 bhp obviously the newer ones have the more power.
never seen the A3 with the 2.5. more often there in the A4 and 6

hi mate, im a very close friend of the guy that was the manager of the steelworks that was the sole supplier of turbos to bmw (my claim to fame) and with the turbos at least theyre solid.

personally i prefer audis, good all round car, would be much better in the winter as well. audis seem to be a lot more expensive though than bmws.

its really up to what you really want, think of which car you would be happiest in and not one where you wish you bought the other. tho, that said, i dont think you can go wrong with either of those choices.

A high initial price, but they hold their value well and depreciate less than a lot of other cars. If I spend £7000 on a new Clio when I got my A3 it would be worth about £3600 now - the A3 is definately the better car and is now worth more than a used Clio. ;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back