Failure to notify of disposal of vehicle

jc denton

Track Warrior
Car
MR2
Just got a letter today from DVLA, 'Failure to notify disposal of vehicle'.

Because I forgot to sign the v5 when I sold a car, they want me to pay a small fine or blame someone ells by saying that I was not the RK at the time.

The DVLA are one of the biggest legalised robbers of all time. I think I'll write them an offer of conditional acceptance.

I had this problem. I sold my car to my mate who put her on trade plates. DVLA in swansey failed to notice that it went onto trade plates (as not to show an extra driver so the car holds its value) and said I never sent it off correctly. They tried to fine me because I didn't recieve a letter. I told em to bugger off. They said I should have been expecting one, and because I didn't tell them they messed up I was getting a bill. I told them to pea off and Die.

They got a debt company from Glasgow to try and recover the £60 odd bill. I informed them that Swansey had messed up and if they sent someone then I would retaliate. I told them not to bother and because I had it in writing that Swansey messed up, then I'd see them in court.

They said if I sent in a letter explaining this, they would drop it. But I explained that I was not going to bother my arse taking an hour out of my life to type a letter and spend £1.50 on recorded delivery for something I had not done. That was about 8 months ago now, and I'm yet to hear.

SOD EM :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Because I forgot to sign the v5 when I sold a car, they want me to pay a small fine or blame someone ells by saying that I was not the RK at the time.

The DVLA are one of the biggest legalised robbers of all time. I think I'll write them an offer of conditional acceptance.

Unfortunately, you sometimes have to actually admit that you made a mistake :)

The rules are actually fairly simple to follow, but we all make mistakes from time to time. With around 8 cars on SORN I have to make sure I am up to date otherwise it could cost me (I think) £60 a mistake.

Had me once like that but uncannily of me i registered the car in my 2 year old daughters name so i could drive it home as my insurance covered me 3rd party to drive someone elses car.
When i got the letter i binned it and waited for the court date.
I strolled into court
on my way to work,saw the usher and said heres a copy of my littles girls birth certificate,how the hell can she own a car!!!!!
I didnt bother going into the court and some weeks later i gopt a letter from the duty solicitor saying due to the dbirth certificate the case was dropped!!!!!

You just got to box clever with these government bodies:lol::lol::lol:

Had me once like that but uncannily of me i registered the car in my 2 year old daughters name so i could drive it home as my insurance covered me 3rd party to drive someone elses car.
When i got the letter i binned it and waited for the court date.
I strolled into court
on my way to work,saw the usher and said heres a copy of my littles girls birth certificate,how the hell can she own a car!!!!!
I didnt bother going into the court and some weeks later i gopt a letter from the duty solicitor saying due to the dbirth certificate the case was dropped!!!!!

You just got to box clever with these government bodies:lol::lol::lol:

I can see one thing wrong with this.......
You still wasn't insured....;)

I can see one thing wrong with this.......
You still wasn't insured....;)

I was ,i rang the insurance company and they informed me i was covered 3rd party as long as i was in the vehicle!!!!!

I ran a track car company hiring cars out so eventually got a traders policy as i was tired of ducking and diving!!!!

Ok fair enough on a traders policy you'd be covered.
I was going to say under fully comp insurance the other vehicle has to be insured by someone otherwise the fully comp policy wouldn't cover it.

Ok fair enough on a traders policy you'd be covered.
I was going to say under fully comp insurance the other vehicle has to be insured by someone otherwise the fully comp policy wouldn't cover it.

Niot sure about this. Many years ago an insurance broker friend told me that you can drive an uninsured car not belonging to you on your own policy on the publically maintianed highway, as long as you stayed in it. Has the law changed?

Niot sure about this. Many years ago an insurance broker friend told me that you can drive an uninsured car not belonging to you on your own policy on the publically maintianed highway, as long as you stayed in it. Has the law changed?

You can't do it now. Both cars need insurance. ;)

Unfortunately, you sometimes have to actually admit that you made a mistake :)

The rules are actually fairly simple to follow, but we all make mistakes from time to time. With around 8 cars on SORN I have to make sure I am up to date otherwise it could cost me (I think) £60 a mistake.

+1

I too have missed some sorns and been fined. :mad:
I am currently trying to get the dvla to sorn all of them from the same date (end of the year) that way so I only have to remember to do it once a year.

Predictably they have a problem with this

Re the rules

You have to either have the vehicle on sorn or have it taxed and registered on the insurance database .
On a traders policy you are only covered if the vehicle has been declared to your insurance company although you do have 14 days to get this done from the date of buying it.

There is an exception to the sorn rule.
When sorn was introduced they only had details of the vehicles on the road not the ones that were off it. Consequently if you have a vehicle which was garaged that year and has not been on the road or taxed since it escapes sorn legally .........untill you tax it or sorn it by mistake

There is an exception to the sorn rule.
When sorn was introduced they only had details of the vehicles on the road not the ones that were off it. Consequently if you have a vehicle which was garaged that year and has not been on the road or taxed since it escapes sorn legally .........untill you tax it or sorn it by mistake

Yup, that is the case with my Elan, as it has been off the road since 1985! I checked with the DVLA last week ans they confirmed that the new regulations haven't changed this exception.

Now it is true that all your interactions with DTAC will generate a written response, so it may well - in the future - hard to say you thought they knew. But now the law is clear, you have to say, but you certainly do not need or require confirmation to validate it.

Well, this is my letter in response to DVLA's accusations...

Dear Enforcement Officer

You have apparently made accusations & demands against me. Those demands are not understood so therefore I cannot lawfully act upon them. I seek clarification of your document so that I may act according to the law. Failure to accept this offer to clarify & to do so in good faith within 7 (seven) day's from the date of this letter will be deemed by all parties to mean that you & your principal abandon all demands against JCDENTON.

This therefore is a notice of conditional acceptance. Notice to one is notice to all. Should you not be in a position to respond with substance to all of the points raised herein, a suitable officer or official must be deligated to fullfill these requirments. By substance I mean actually addressing each & every point raised, the nearest official form will not suffice & is consequently likely to be ignored without dishonor.

Please be aware that I have given you a time limit to address this matter as stated. It is reasonable & if it runs out then you & all associated parties are in default, removing any & all lawfull exuses on your part for proceeding in this matter.

I conditionally accept this offer to agree that I am Legal Person JC DENTON & that I am legally required to furnish you with information requested or to boost your income by £55 or £35, upon proof of claim & substantial clarification of all of the following.

Upon proof of claim that I am a Person & not a human being.

Upon proof of claim that you know what a Person actually is, in legal terms.

Upon proof of claim that I am legal Person JC DENTON, being the entity to which your letter was addressed & not: JC, of the Denton family, as commonly known.

Upon proof of claim that I showed you some sort of identification.

Upon proof of claim that there is a nameable society to which I belong, who's statutes & laws you are attempting to enforce, apply to me within that society.

Upon proof of claim or denial that DVLA is the legal owner of every motor vehicle in Great Britain.

Upon proof of claim or denial that the form you sent to me is an entity created by capitalization, an offer of contract.

Under what specific statute or legislation does the alleged offence come under.

What is the complete wording of the oath taken by you, or any other parties you are acting on behalf of in this matter, in regards to protecting Her Majesty the Queen & her people.

As article 45 of Magna Carte 1215, one of the founding documents of the British constitution clearly states: We will appoint as Justices, Constables, Sheriffs & other officials, only men who know the law of the realm and are minded to keep it well. Can you assure me that you are wholly awere & knowlegable to precice & total content of all of the constitutional documents, law & legal documents of the British realm.

How did the document you sent to JC DENTON come to be addressed to a coorporation.

Please be aware that my administration charges for responding to any further accusations of alleged offences, threats or demands are £200 per hour for my time & labour.

In the event of you deciding that this matter must be procecuted, then I require you to state the area of Common Law under which any such prosecution will be persued.

At present, I do not consent to contract with you. BY:___________________ DATE:

Last edited:
JC, await to hear the amusing response from the DVLA on this - but bets on that as you didnt sign the v5 they are going to somehow get this out of you. They do hold all the cards in this.

That's nonsense...!!!

Confirmation that the dvla are a bunch of jobsworths

I have just had this happen again .

I sold a car and took one in pex . I put both slips in the same envelope and sent them off recorded delivery (due to previous problems)

The dvla only updated one and are currently trying to fine me for not telling them about the second.

They agree that for a registered trader it is normal praictice to put both slips in one envelope and they agree they received the envelope

They have no explanation as to why they only updated one yet still expect me to pay the fine.

This will not happen