Faded Plastic

StevieDB9

Road Burner
Car
Ford Focus 1.4
After giving the focus a properly good clean (by that i mean 3 days worth of cleaning :blink:) i still wasnt happy. What was letting the whole car down was the plastic bump strips on the corners of the bumpers and along the doors. They've faded a bit and went that blotchy grey colour. Back to black does nothing much to help. Was originally going to paint them the same colour as the car but was put off by people saying that the paint over time will all to easily bubble and flake.

Was wondering if anyone heard of / had experience with any products to rectify this problem. Does rubbing shoe polish in help lol :toung:

also, anyone had any experience with this stuff?

http://www.showcarsupplies.com/bw/

smooth peanut butter (just the cheap stuff) ........... sounds daft but try it, it really does work :) (well it has worked for me in the past and i know a few people who wont use anything else on their trim work)

I've not used that stuff, but I use Turtlewax, Black in Flash (these names are truly awful aren't they!) with reasonable results.
As far as painting goes if you buy dedicated plastic paint & primer then I'm sure you'll get good results, maybe something acrylic based that will expand & shrink with the plastic. However if you've used any back to black style products on the trim before, then it will require a thorough degreasing/cleaning before painting. :)

smooth peanut butter (just the cheap stuff) ........... sounds daft but try it, it really does work :) (well it has worked for me in the past and i know a few people who wont use anything else on their trim work)
Coffee air fresheners, peanut butter plastic renovator? I'm starting to see a pattern here 2fast! :lol:
I'm guessing it's probably the palm oil in peanut butter thats doing the job. :amuse:

yeah, i have heard of using peanut butter. Might give it a bash. Just smear on and rub off? Lol, i can imagine the looks i'll get from the neighbours!

On the subject of food, i've heard mayonaisse left to dry on is good at removing tar spots! never tried it, bit of petrol does the trick best if you ask me :blink1:

I've tried all the "back to black" and its awfully named counterparts but its actually weathered and needs restored. I'll give the peanut butter a bash, and maybe some boot polish! If all else fails, i'll be spray painting this summer!

hair dryer is supposed to work as well just heat the plastic up.
spray paint away mate im currently redoing the rub strip on my rear bumper due to me whacking a wall a while ago

cheers guys! yeah, have heard of "re-setting" the plastic so to speak with heat. Yeah HDi, amourall products are pretty good, never tried their plastic trim wipes but the interior dash shine wipes are second to none, i defo recommend them!;)

You'll have to post up some before and after pics for us. Let us know which method works the best.

you can buy a gel in halfords for faded plastic
i must admit, it does look cat

another thing i use is (go on, laugh again) lol, is johnsons baby gel, seriously

Aye, aye what's going on here then? :blink:
Bit of auto erotica sir? ;)
Suits you Sir! :lol:

TBF... A mate uses babywipes to clean his leather seats & swears by it.

Last edited:
Aye, aye what's going on here then? :blink:
Bit of auto erotica sir? ;)
Suits you Sir! :lol:

TBF... A mate uses babywipes to clean his leather seats & swears by it.
baby stuff is good for cleaning most of the car:D