Excellant article on car control IMO

I've often felt that if a driver knows how to control a slide (skid) of any type then they will know how to provoke one. And if you know how to provoke one then you know what to do in order not to provoke one.

I'm not in favour of that kind of driving on public roads but in dire need if something goes really pear shaped it's handy to have those skills on hand.

I'd also like to add (and I am not one to drive for the audience) that a slide or skid does not automatically mean the driver has lost control of the car if he/she did so intentionally.

Going further it's a skill to get from A to B rapidly without actually driving (too) 'fast'.

Further still, modern cars, well set up and aligned, with good quality tyres in good condition, have huge reserves of grip anyway.

So if you're frequently dipping into the ABS/ESP/DSC etc then maybe a change of driving style is worth considering..........................

IMO exploring the limits of both car and driver should only be done on the track and in no way would I suggest it be done any other way.
IMO all the electronic wizardry is there to save people who have little to no feel as to what the car is doing, from themselves. They may also give them a false sense of security along with an inflated sense of their ability behind the wheel.

This last October. at about 0530hrs, in an effort to save an old lady crossing the street, I happened to twitch the wheel, just a mite.
My car did a 180 sideways with all 4 wheels on the ground, hit the sidewalk, flew up into the air, and while in the air, did a 360 front and back and a 450 side over side...
center pillar, running board, rear axel lost, as was all the glass...
No seat-belt. bear can in hand.
personal boy injury?...: whiplash, and a scratch on my knee from my alcohol dispenser switch.
People say its a Total Loss!
I say, nothing is impossible!
Will post pics thru' the fix, just as soon as I get it from the impound.
By the by, I did not lose even a drop of my elixer, and was happily chugging away when the cops drove up.
nothing to boast about, I agree, but hey! they were giving 20 to 1 odds about the driver being alive. that just made me bust out in mirth.
Anyways, guys, happy to be back after this long sabbatical, and glad to see we still maintain our integrity and self respect.
will need a lot of help and advice from seniors here, and hope they would consider my requests favorably.... :)
Be good folks