Do you get your book MPG

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When it comes to your MPG how close are you to the manufacturers quoted figures?

I was only getting 31mpg, which is quite a drop for me so I pumped up the tyres all round to just below the fully loaded and this pushed the mpg back up to 35mpg.

Then I took the car through a Turin tune up :lol: and we are back at 37mpg. If I go on long motorway cruises I push this up to nearer 40/45mpg depending on how far I go.

However if I drive the car to enjoy it this all drops to an average of around 28mpg:(

When it comes to your MPG how close are you to the manufacturers quoted figures?

I was only getting 31mpg, which is quite a drop for me so I pumped up the tyres all round to just below the fully loaded and this pushed the mpg back up to 35mpg.

Then I took the car through a Turin tune up :lol: and we are back at 37mpg. If I go on long motorway cruises I push this up to nearer 40/45mpg depending on how far I go.

However if I drive the car to enjoy it this all drops to an average of around 28mpg:(
36 around town. 44 mixed 54-56 on a run!

Book MPG is established under very rigorously controlled and precise conditions. This means that the figures are unlikely to be representative of anything you're going to achieve in real world conditions.

Before getting to despondent, consider this: at least with the figures being measured under very precise and repeatable conditions you can reliably make comparisons between different manufacturers makes and models.

Book MPG is established under very rigorously controlled and precise conditions. This means that the figures are unlikely to be representative of anything you're going to achieve in real world conditions.

Before getting to despondent, consider this: at least with the figures being measured under very precise and repeatable conditions you can reliably make comparisons between different manufacturers makes and models.
Hello. Yes that's fine but it is misleading information. When I was at the dealers today a chap was moaning like mad that his peugeot 107 did not do anywhere near the 72mpg that he was told it could do. He tested it and it was doing 45. he was not a happy bunny!

It's not misleading - it's just that your average car buyer is not very bright.
I think the average car buyer is a little brighter than you might give them credit for. The method of ascertaining MPG needs changing to a more genuine way.

I agree and also think it is misleading but most drivers should expect to only get near the official figures if they Granny the car around town (which hardly anyone does!)

They also quote 0-60 times and yet most deliver a car with a speedo that indicates 66mph at the said 60mph, logic should dictate that either the cars speedo is correctly calibrated or that the 0-60 times should be quoted as 0-66 times:eek:.

That said all makers use the same stringent lab conditions which means it is makes the comparison a little fairer between them.

I think the average car buyer is a little brighter than you might give them credit for. The method of ascertaining MPG needs changing to a more genuine way.

I didn't mean to offend incidentally, so let's consider present company exempt from my statement.

I will add that the average Brit is not very bright anyway, whether or not engaged in the procurement of an automobile.

If the makers wanted to standardise things and be more representative of real world driving then how about quoting a maximum MPG figure (ie. you will NEVER get more than this) ?

Meaningless, isn't it?

If the makers wanted to standardise things and be more representative of real world driving then how about quoting a maximum MPG figure (ie. you will NEVER get more than this) ?

Meaningless, isn't it?
Ah no because if they did get a better mpg then that's not misleading which at the moment is "simples"

I'd rather things stay as they are. At least we have a means of comparing similar models. I cannot think of any other way to do this. It's impossible to recreate every driver's average drive for test purposes.

Driving style has more influence upon economy than any other factor and it's impossible to simulate this. It's why I can see no point in a driver who's interested in performance driving buying a basic 1.6 model and expecting fantastic fuel economy.

There was a time when they only quoted the top MPG. The Urban and extra urban figures were introduced to, allegedly, give a better real world indication.

What about doing a "STGTL" (Stig Top Gear Track Laps) Ie the number of laps Stig can do of the Top Gear track on a full tank and using 1 litre of fuel!;) That would be more realistic given our enthusiastic driving style!;)