Discoloured plenum

mbw1406

Wrench Pro
Car
mitsubishi gto twin
The plenum and other aluminium parts in the engine bay are kind of crappy looking. Wondering whats the best D.I.Y way to getting them looking better?
Thanks in advance

& the award for, "Best thread title that sound like an embarrassing medical condition but isn't." Goes to... :bigsmile:

Ally tends to get a bit rough when exposed & the oxide coating is quite thick (this is what actually protects the ally from further corrosion.) If the Brasso doesn't work, then I'd go for a piece of scotch brite & then wet & dry paper or a light wire brush with a dremel. I've not tried it but T-cut might be good too, just try it on something unimportant first! The problem with cleaning up Ally is that it becomes addictive & you end up pursuing a better & better finish! :lol:

Last edited:
Loz is right, it takes hours. Get yourself a Dremmel and polishing wheel and some brasso or T-cut. When you are finished I would recommend coating it with a heat proof lacquer to preserve the shine.

Alternatively see if anyone is offering stainless steel Plenums or better still a chromed plenum.

(This does sound like a medical condition though!)

or...
Take 'em to a metal polishers & then get them lacquered as Waynne's suggested. :)

Ooooooooooo shiny shiny lol :)

highly polished stuff always looks nice under the bonnet.

i normally just paint mine as its an inexpensive way of transforming the engine bay and adds a bit of colour at the same time,

painted a set of vec v6 plenums in crystal topaz (TVR flip paint) a couple of years ago and they were stunning :)

Don't lacquer anything polished under the bonnet of a GTO, it WILL tarnish and crack. Trust me.
A polished plenum, and a few other items.

engine1-1.jpg

Here's another polished engine bay.

ps: im 1 hose short for the left side of the y-pipe as you see in the pic , if anyone has a blue samco hose for these motors lying around please get in touch .

DSC00418.jpg

John:amazed: