Deep Car Scratches!

Pixel

Road Burner
Car
Ford Fiesta Zetec-S
Deep Car Scratches!

I have been unfortunate enough to have had my car key'd quite badly earlier today. The scratch starts from my petrol cap and goes all the way down to my headlight, meaning the rear drivers wing, drivers door and front drivers wing are all damaged, as well as a 6 inch scratch on the bonnet.

Both scratches are fairly wide, looks like it was done with a screwdriver. And the scratches are very deep & down to the metal. Ive been quoted £300 for all panels to be sanded down and re-painted. Its not a bad price but since I'm in the market for a new car, I was wondering if anyone here knew of a method or something that could be done as a temp fix for the scratches.

Reason I want something like this, is so I can part-ex the car somewhere quickly. As it stands, the scratches stand out and are way too noticeable. Any type of cheap filler or whatever that comes out after a few weeks or a few washes would be ideal.

Open to any cheap methods,

Thanks,

Pixel.

If you're down to the metal then the only way to do it is to fully repaint the panels. Any other approach will leave it more than visible.

If you're PXing I wouldn't worry as trade in value is unlikely to be seriously affected by this anyway. The dealer will of course be able to fix it before resale far more cheaply than you because he will be paying trade price for the repair work. Also, bear in mind he wants you to buy a car and he won't let minor damage like this stand in his way.

I would say that if you take your time with a touch up pen you will almost have an invisible repair. Use a fine grit of wet and dry to finish it off and use a small sanding block. As it is such a long scratch it will take ages but your time will be cheaper than a full respray. Try it first on the small scratch. (Treat this like a stone chip repair and see our article for more pointers in the editorial articles/car care/ section.)

Can you put a racing stripe sticker over it?

I would say that if you take your time with a touch up pen you will almost have an invisible repair. Use a fine grit of wet and dry to finish it off and use a small sanding block. As it is such a long scratch it will take ages but your time will be cheaper than a full respray. Try it first on the small scratch. (Treat this like a stone chip repair and see our article for more pointers in the editorial articles/car care/ section.)

Can you put a racing stripe sticker over it?

I think the sticker is a damh good idea, since the scratch is fairly straight, most decals will cover it.

I also quite like the touch up pen idea, can you talk me through it in more detail waynne?

You can use a touch up pen to fill in the scratch with paint. Build it up over a few layers then with a fine grit wet and dry and sanding block rub the new paint down to the level of your old paint. Finish off with some cutting polish and a layer of wax and you should have a good repair.

Have a read of http://www.torquecars.com/articles/stone-chip-removal.php - view the scratch as a long stone chip. The newer the car the better the chances of the touch up pen matching.

You can use a touch up pen to fill in the scratch with paint. Build it up over a few layers then with a fine grit wet and dry and sanding block rub the new paint down to the level of your old paint. Finish off with some cutting polish and a layer of wax and you should have a good repair.

Have a read of http://www.torquecars.com/articles/stone-chip-removal.php - view the scratch as a long stone chip. The newer the car the better the chances of the touch up pen matching.

Ah, im starting to understand what you mean and it does sound like a good idea! But what do you mean by "fine grit, wet & dry?".

From what I understand, you want me to fill in the scratch with a layer of paint, let it dry and repeat this for multiple layers. Then T-Cut it down to a smooth level and finish with a wax/polish.

Where would I get a paint pen from?

My car is a very unique colour, "Burnt Orange"

wet and dry is like sandpaper its normally black in colour. you should be able to find it in any decent hardware store.

as for the pen best bet would be peugeot themselves. but it might be slightly more expensive than the likes of halfords

wet and dry is like sandpaper its normally black in colour. you should be able to find it in any decent hardware store.

as for the pen best bet would be peugeot themselves. but it might be slightly more expensive than the likes of halfords

But probably better than Halfords also... spend the extra cash.

A side note on wet and dry. Use it wet - it doesn't clog up as much and gives a smoother finish. When you get over the wierd fact that wet and dry can be dipped in water and cleaned you start to feel it is second nature.

Last edited: