decatting saxo 1.1

SaxoJamie

Car
Citroen Saxo
Hi all. My names Jamie and I drive a 1.1 saxo. please don't laugh lol. I'm new to this site but I've been reading about different tuning tips as I'm desperate for more power. I'm thinking of decatting my car as it seems a cheap and easy way to get a bit more power but will it actually make mine perform any different. I already have a Sportex 3" catback system, Green induction kit and gasflowed throttlebody. Aside from chucking out the whole interior there isn't anything else that would be worth the hassle.

I've heard decatting boosts the upper rev range at the expense of losing low down torque hence actually making it slightly slower off the line. Is this true? Any tips/advice appreciated.

hey and welcome to torquecars mate
to be honest decatting a 1.1 isnt going to be worth anything. then theres the hassle of refitting it for the MOT

Are you on about the back box when you said 3" cat back or the whole system as id advise to change that stright away - thats more for 300bhp, mines is recomended to 2.5 - 2.75".

me personally mate would save my money until i got something worth tuning. if your keeping the saxo look at swapping out the engine for the vtr or vts engine

Taking out the cat will give you a max of 2% more power, IMHO it is just not worth the cost of the decat pipe plus you will no longer be within legal emissions levels. The growing risk of a roadside emissions test would worry me sufficiently to avoid the decat option altogether.

(Welcome to TorqueCars though and its good to have you along. It's nice to see someone enthusiastic about their car.)

you can always get a sports cat anyway, so you get the power and you wont fail mot and all that rubish

Re: decatting saxo 1.1- more power

Cheers for the replies guys. I just wanted to make it a bit better to drive but I am a bit worried of getting caught by Vosa or someone running decatted.

- Would it be better to change the exhaust for a smaller 2" supersprint maybe. I think the car has lost too much backpressure as it is. Would a decat actually make it worse?

Also is it worth fitting a heatshield to my open cone filter to block heat from the engine so it runs smoother up the revs or just get a panel filter for the oem airbox? I really appreciate advice on this.

i would say a panel filter would be better

are you on about the bore or the tail pipe ?
tailpipes is up to you, but 2" might stil be too big for the bore

i would say a panel filter would be better

are you on about the bore or the tail pipe ?
tailpipes is up to you, but 2" might stil be too big for the bore

I meant the tailpipe. My current one is 3" but centre pipe is quite thick. The bore on that could even be as big as 2.5"

Would decatting make it lose too much backpressure and actually make it slower off the line?

tailpipe is fine, really all it does is quietin down the noise.
i had a quick search and couldnt turn up any exhaust for the 1.1 only for the 1.4 and 1.6 which will have a bigger bore anyway so yes this could be losing you back pressure, decatting would lose a bit more but if you get it setup right then it should make it quicker.
speak to a custom exhaust company and see what they suggest for the 1.1.
at a guess i would say around 1.75 inch (44.5mm)would be about right. try powerflow they done a superb job on my prelude

tailpipe is fine, really all it does is quietin down the noise.
i had a quick search and couldnt turn up any exhaust for the 1.1 only for the 1.4 and 1.6 which will have a bigger bore anyway so yes this could be losing you back pressure, decatting would lose a bit more but if you get it setup right then it should make it quicker.
speak to a custom exhaust company and see what they suggest for the 1.1.
at a guess i would say around 1.75 inch (44.5mm)would be about right. try powerflow they done a superb job on my prelude

cool. I might get in touch with them next week. Don't want to spend a lot of money on a 1.1 though. Would a standard centre pipe be better?

proberly would be, car companies spend millions on R&D
there good guys my flexi back system (no cat as too old) cost me just over £300 with twin 3" tip, bore was slightly bigger than standard.