De-icing your car.

Loz

Torque King
Car
MX-5
Going to work in an hour or so & I've just seen the car is frozen over, I then remembered a tip from someone on here; Place a hot water bottle on the dash before going out & when your ready to leave the screen is clear & it wont mist up either. :bigsmile:

Whoever it was, cheers!
salute.gif

Anyone got any more car related winter tips?

Last edited:
Re: De-ing your car.

don't use de icer on your windscreen

just use a scraper, then it won't refreeze whilst driving

happened to me loads of times

I spray wd40 over the electrics under the bonnet,stops damp getting in,been doing it for years and never had any problems!!.

I honestly don't know if it has or hasn't Loz.
TBH I don't know that much about it really. :lol::lol::lol:
It's got an electronic parking brake and hill start assist. That's something I know about it. ;)

don't use de icer on your windscreen

just use a scraper, then it won't refreeze whilst driving

happened to me loads of times

ohh but it scratches the windscreen to bits. :confused:

luke warm water pour over until all the ice melts then use the wipers to dry before it refreezes.

have done this for years without any issues including -20 last year. just remember the water is just warm.

Normal tap water would work better.
Warmer water freezes quicker. ;)

luke warm water pour over until all the ice melts then use the wipers to dry before it refreezes.

have done this for years without any issues including -20 last year. just remember the water is just warm.

Yeah turn on hot tap and by the time the bottles full its just right

And its not on the windscreen long enough to refreeze if you wipe it off ;)

Lukewarm water in a squeezy bottle is good when used alongside trigger spray deicer.

In really cold weather it's good to start the engine and let it run for a minute or two whilst you do this. Even with today's 0w-30 engine oils it's good for an engine to warm up for a very short period.

Have used this method for a while now and I have never had a problem.

warmish water works well for me and doesn't cost much! IMO it is more effective than deicer spray. Do a second trickle and it earns the glass preventing refreezing.

De-Icer has been a life saver many times for me, use it with car heater and it shouldnt freeze (never heard of de icer freezing o_O). Give it a few seconds for enough ice to melt, and then wipe it off with wipers. easily the quickest and most effortless way to get rid of ice if ur pressed for time

The problem with deicer is that it contains Isopropyl Alcohol and as this evaporates it further cools the screen increasing the likelihood of a re-freeze.

Give me time to think about this one! :blink: Ask me again on May 14th 2050 I might have softened by then :lol: