cry for help

medihummer

Wrench Pro
Hi Guys and Girls,

I have a heavily tuned car. (big brakes, supercharger, exhaust, bigger tires and rims.) It is impossible to get it homologated in Belgium. Can somebody help me with a company that can homologate my car in UK? Some people tell me that it is not so difficult to get a modified car officially on the road in UK.

best regards

Medihummer

Hi Medihummer welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about your problems in Belgium - i'm not too sure of the regs out there. I know in the UK we are lucky as we have fairly relaxed laws and some loopholes although this is due to change. Can you get the car detuned - so it will pass the emissions etc... What areas of the car are stopping you getting it homologated? I will ask around for you and if I find anything I'll let you know! :wink:

car

the car is a hummer H2
tuning:
Eaton Compressor (streetlegal in USA and Euro 4 after Geigercars.de)
Borla exhaust (also streetlegal)
Brembo Brake kits (also TUV approved says Geigercars)
bigger tires 37 inch overal diameter instead of 34,6 stock

I can not detune it because if I have an accident in Belgium I will not be insured. The tuning is too visible and tech controle in Belgium is every year.

Best regards

Medihummer

In the UK I belive the addition of a knob to the steering wheel allows the car to be classed as adapted for a disabled person and the rules are relaxed for all other modificiations - anything similar over there in Belgium?

How do you stand with Kit Cars over there, have you tried that route - if the car is a one off (which it is) there must be some way to get it registered.

It does look like if you can get EU papers for the car it should hopefully be easier to import to Belgium :wink: Have a chat with 'SVA imports' in Folkestone Kent - its near the port so if the car has to be moved over here for registration it can be done easily. As far as I know they can sort all the legalities of importing and registering in the UK. (Mention Torquecars when you contact them!) You'll then just have the problem of registering a UK car in Belgium which will hopefully be easier.

Homologation

dear Waynne,

If there is a banana republic in Europe then that republic is Belgium for sure. If you change only the rims you can not homologate it any more. Belgium is a crazy country. We have a communistic Minister of Traffic and he hates cars and especially SUV's like Hummers. Since 6 months he doesn't allow any modification any more although a hummer has to be homologated as prototype since there is no official homologation for that car. So in theory everything should be possible.

Thanks for the help

best regards

Medihummer

kroymans

Dear Waynne,

Those are the guys where I bought the hummer! They didn't want to install the extra stuff but they let me install it and then bought the extra's from me and billed the Hummer + goodies to the leasing company. So legally spoken they are responsible for it. They wanted to lisence it for me as a car without the tuning but then in an accident I have enormous problems. The insurance company would not pay anything because they insure what is on the lisence data sheet and that would be a standard H2. The technical controle after one year would take it out of traffic also because of the changes. As a car the Hummer cotst me 65000 euro on tax in 5 years. As a truck, which it actaully is because heavier then 3500kg, it will cost me only 750 euro on tax after 5 years. There are 3 official Hummer dealers in Belgium and they all have troubles lisencing even a standard H2 now because of stupid new laws since June 2006. I contacted Geigercars in Germany and they wanted to help me but a guy from Kroymans disencouraged them to do so. It is a very complicated situation. The guy that sold me the car from Kroymans is a very nice guy but he has very little experience with Hummers. That is why I decided to look for a solution myself. As far as know the best thing would be lisencing it in UK and put it in our UK company, then it seems like all the problems would be gone.
I mailed SVA IMPORTS yesterday but they didn't answer me yet. I hope they will want to help me. You seem to know them personally. Can't you speek a good word for me?

thanks

Medihummer

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back