cold starts

shaggydappa1

Wrench Pro
Car
audi a3 NON-TURBO!
every morning when i start my car my exhaust goes crazy for around 3-5 mins then calms down i've got a sports cat and a full system is there anything i can do to avoid the 3-5 mins of earthquake apart from putting filters in the system? :sad2:

Not really the cold start is just the same as the old choke on carburettored (is that spelt right?) cars. Mine does the same, I may have to put the cat back on to cut the noise down a bit because I don't think my neighbours are impressed! :lol:

The only other way possible way around it I can think of, is using a Kenlow preheat system that will bring your water system up to working temp before you start your car.

http://www.kenlowe.co.uk/pre-heaters/cars/spec.html

It's quite neat as it means your car is immediately toasty warm in the winter. :D

Last edited:
The woman who lives next door to me isn't so clever at cold starts. Her car was iced over (this was back in winter), she jumped in, turned it on and started to rev the engine straight away!! I did try and advise her that her oil would be very cold and she could nacker the engine up. As a woman, she took no notice. 3 weeks later when her cam shaft snapped (thats right, clear break) I spoke to her husband who was replacing it. Needless to say he was not impressed with what I told him. Think she was in the bad books for a few weeks!!! :p

My advise on the exhaust, if the folks in your road are complaining. Drown it out with some loud music! :eek: lol