Cold weather tips?

wolfmankurd

Track Warrior
Car
Renault Clio 1.2
Any tips for a newbie driver on snow covered/icy roads? Yesterday, I slid and as fun as it was I was inches from some paint swapping.

What I've seen so far:

Use the clutch when starting (I thought you had to do this anyway).
Use higher gears.
Don't brake or steer sharply

Look way ahead, when approaching junctions go down a gear or two before braking.

Don't keep your foot on the brake pedal when slowing take the pressure of every so often to avoid the wheels skidding.

Treat going down hills with enormous care it will be very easy to get into a slide.

Drive smoothly & leave more distance between you & the idiot in front.

When pulling away on packed snow or ice try pulling away by lifting the clutch slowly & not touching the accelerator, you should get enough go to get you rolling with out resorting to wheel spinning.

When the road goes back to being wet your allowed to speed up. ;)

Last edited:
Keep your pace WELL below normal. I don't go for the gear before brake thing, that goes against my advanced training. I prefer to adjust speed with brakes and the choose the correct gear for the speed and planned move. (Automatic x-mission is my preference so doesn't matter to me).

The best advice is to plan your drive systematically, arrange hazards in order of priority, keep you pace down.

Separate your brake, gear and steer inputs. This works well in all conditions. None of this wheel panning and clinging onto the gearshift. It's bad for control and it looks ridiculous as well.

Watch for understeer. FWD cars are knows for it in snow/ice. Even at slow speeds while parking. I have come close loads of times before in my old cars.

Alot of how you set yourself up on the road will depend on what you are driving and how confident you are in it. I always leave plenty of room infront and plan well ahead and expect the unexpected. If you are well aware of what's going on around you then you are better prepared for what lies ahead.

Braking for a junction will require steady soft braking allowing for ice and a slight lock up, worse if turning off a main road into a side road, the kerb can come quick quickly if turning in too fast! The worse thing you can do is panic and hit the brakes, after that you are a passenger until it stops of its own free will or hits something stationary!

4WD is fine if you are not too confident, but stopping is still a controlled effort especially if you are at the helm of two and a quarter tons! I found driving the Landy was fine, even changing lanes and kept it nice and straight when on fresh snow in the fast lane, all well and good if the road ahead is clear. Not recommended for 2WD as seen some drift a bit.

The biggest obstacle for me in this weather is not my own driving but that of others!

Alot of how you set yourself up on the road will depend on what you are driving and how confident you are in it. I always leave plenty of room infront and plan well ahead and expect the unexpected. If you are well aware of what's going on around you then you are better prepared for what lies ahead.

Braking for a junction will require steady soft braking allowing for ice and a slight lock up, worse if turning off a main road into a side road, the kerb can come quick quickly if turning in too fast! The worse thing you can do is panic and hit the brakes, after that you are a passenger until it stops of its own free will or hits something stationary!

4WD is fine if you are not too confident, but stopping is still a controlled effort especially if you are at the helm of two and a quarter tons! I found driving the Landy was fine, even changing lanes and kept it nice and straight when on fresh snow in the fast lane, all well and good if the road ahead is clear. Not recommended for 2WD as seen some drift a bit.

The biggest obstacle for me in this weather is not my own driving but that of others!

I completely agree with your last paragraph.

You can get away in first quite easily if you have delicate throttle control. This is something us automatic drivers develop to a high level as there's no clutch to reign in savage right foot inputs.

A cursory prod of the right pedal instantly flings the car down the road.

Engine braking can lock wheels just as readily as friction braking. You still need to keep your speed in check early.

not on about using the engine braking to stop the car but to hold a steady speed down a hill.
rather than using 3rd or 4th as normal where your speed may creep up. id rather use 2nd and hold the speed back by not using any throttle and the gearing holding the car back itself

not on about using the engine braking to stop the car but to hold a steady speed down a hill.
rather than using 3rd or 4th as normal where your speed may creep up. id rather use 2nd and hold the speed back by not using any throttle and the gearing holding the car back itself

You've got a strong grasp of all of this winter driving business. My points were aimed at those who might think gears are the cure for wheel lockup.

crossed wires again :D

That'll do nicely. The snow's all gone here now. Still very cold so I expect black ice etc. The BMW is actually surprisingly sure footed on snow and ice - I've not driven one before in severe condiitons so was a bit wary.

The traction control is all wrapped in with the DSC stability management and does wind things in if you get too silly with the throttle.