Causes of brake fade

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are the main causes of brake fade? I've had some feedback on our brake fade article which I just want some verification on.

So is it
1) Heating up the pad and disk causing a loss of friction
2) Heating up and boiling the brake fluid causing a spongy feel
3) Both of the above
4) None of the above and insert your own theory

1 and 2 - which occurs first depends upon the friction materials and fluids used.

1 can get worse if the pad is smoking and this release of smoke literally cushions the pads' effect upon the disc. That gas layer impedes the braking almost totally.

BUT - for the definitive answer then I have to say that the driver is ultimately the cause.

They lasted over 23k and they still felt strong. They was only replaced cause they was fairly low. They would still of have a couple of grand of miles left in them but it was easier to replace at service time.

I have 36mm thick discs which will help, I also use Dot 5 brake fluid, has a higher boiling point and it not hydroscopic. Let alone that it does not remove your paintwork when you slop it everywhere ;)

I have 36mm thick discs which will help, I also use Dot 5 brake fluid, has a higher boiling point and it not hydroscopic. Let alone that it does not remove your paintwork when you slop it everywhere ;)

It will help to steady the heatong up process but once they are cooked you've got a greater mass to cool down.