Car cut out

creature

Torque Junkie
Car
mg zs 1.8
I was in second pulling out of a roundabout and my revs dropped to 0, i thought i had stalled it but when i tried to restart the engine i got the grateing noise indicating my engine was still on. The car was running and in gear.

any ideas?

So the engine was running but the revs are showing as 0. Is it a faulty rev counter?

Did the engine also seem to die with no power? Does it do this a lot?

sorry it was worded poorly(tired after work) i dont know how to explain it to be honest. i was going round a roundabout in first gear at around 10mph as soon as i came to my exit i changed to second and tried to accelerate. The revs dropped to 0 and i had no power from the engine, lights and everything still worked perfectly my cd player didnt even skip. So i presumed i stalled it when i went to restart it i got the lovely grinding noise you get from holding the key at start posistion for too long.

its never done it before, friend seems to think it might be an alternater problem but this wouldnt account for 0 revs and lights that are still working would it?

Just sounds like it stalled but not quite fully. My car did this when I had some dodgy plugs fitted. I just went and changed the plugs and it was fine after that.

Was it a damp day?

rather wet day, fair amount of surface spray. is it worth investing in new sparks? i was looking at buying some wide arc plugs.

this sound a bit dangerous lol it could happen in the wrong place if im honest if you have the money change the part if not wait till another wet day (wont be too long) and if it happens change it

this sound a bit dangerous lol it could happen in the wrong place if im honest if you have the money change the part if not wait till another wet day (wont be too long) and if it happens change it

I don't think waiting to see if it happens again is a very good idea!

Take the plugs out and see if they are dirty or there has been tracking over the ceramic (this will show as a narrow burn line on the white bit;))

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back