Building my dream car

randomflash

Car
Civic DX D17a
I have taken a lot of flack on the civic forum from know it alls. I have always wanted a civic, and I finally got one. No its not a type r, SI, or any other super duper fast turbo.

I purchased a 2002 DX. I had no idea what type it was until I did a vin check and a engine block inspection. D17a1. I have heard many negative comments on the dx in terms of building it out for speed. I admit the build will be a bit more challenging with out doing a swap. That is where the fun is for me. To get as much out of that SOHC as I can.

So far the engine has responded very well to all the bolt-ons I have done.
I have inceased HP on a low level, but throttle response has changed for the better, and I have raced 2 different times and won both.
1. Jetta got the W early in the a/m
2. Honda Accord slightly modified got the W mid morning

My goal is to build a fast car, not a drag racing funny car.
I am on my way and I am very happy with the progress of my project.

Anyone else going against conventional wisdom with a car that the know it alls think sucks?

Welcome to the forum Randomflash, I certainly understand where your coming from I've allways took the leftfeild option, the first car I started modifying was a Smart car! :D

My current car got me a bit off flack at the start as Rover 100's don't have an awful lot of street cred!

Have you considered removing some weight from the car? As this is one of the cheapest ways to improve performance! :D

You'll find plenty of inspiration on here to help you with your car as well.

Loz.

Ps: Just so you know, Torquecars does not condone streetracing. ;)

Last edited:
I agree with loz about weight reduction. Can you not get the 1.5 VTi engine as these go very well when tuned what size is your engine anyway.

Thank you to everyone for welcoming me with open minds.
SOHC 1.7

These modifications have increased my throttle response, and added a generous amount of horsepower. I know I have a long way to go, but right now life is grand and my car sounds great, and it is way faster then it was. I am open to any other ideas like removing the spare tire and any extra weight. I have removed over 200 lbs. thus far. Thank you.

Current Modifications
1. G-Force High Performance Chip
2. MagnaFlow Headers w/ High-Flow Catalytic Converter
3. MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust System
4. Mac CAI, Spectre filter
5. NGK Iridium Power Spark Plugs
6. ACT XACT StreetLite Flywheel
7. ACT Heavy Duty Clutch Kit
8. Equus Tachometer

Stance

Wheels Diablo Racing Concept 9
Tires 215 40zr 17 in Lexana

Wish List is as follows
Turbo Specialties (TSI) D Series Extreme Turbo Kit
Honda of Japan Fuel Injector Set
Koyo High Performance Radiator
FAL / Flex-a-lite High Performance Electric Fans
AEM Tru-Time Adjustable Cam Gears
Turbo Specialties (TSI) D17A Forged Piston Set
GReddy e-Manage Ultimate
A'PEXi Super AFC Neo
PRO Design Mugen Style Front Lip
Walbro High Volume In-Tank Electric Fuel Pump
Turbo Specialties (TSI) D17A Forged Piston Set
PRO Design Type R Style Grille
AIT Racing Bomex Style Front Bumper
Extreme Dimensions Sniper Style Wing
Sparco R100 Sport Seats
PRO Design Type R Style Shift Knobs
Buddy Club Racing Spec Oil Cap
PRO Civic Vinyl Decals

Ps: Just so you know, Torquecars does not condone streetracing.

I understand. Just so you know it is not what you think or how it sounds,
It may be considered wreckless driving. I only go from 0-60 0r 0-50 what ever the posted speed limit is with out a unsafe start. It sounds like a bore I know, but it is not illegal until you chirp the tires, or break the speed limit. FYI

I understand. Just so you know it is not what you think or how it sounds,
It may be considered wreckless driving. I only go from 0-60 0r 0-50 what ever the posted speed limit is with out a unsafe start. It sounds like a bore I know, but it is not illegal until you chirp the tires, or break the speed limit. FYI

Good man.
thgood.gif

Sounds like your right track & you know what you want. I hope Santa brings you everything on your wish list! :bigsmile:

Why not start & WIP thread & keep us up to date with the cars progress?

Hello there and may I extend to you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars forums.
It is great to meet you and I hope you enjoy the forums as much as we all do and that you get totally addicted to this site.

It sounds like you have a great project on your hands, with an impressive mod list planned already.

What cars have you owned in the past then?

Because we are an international multi car forum you will get a lot more respect on here than with other forums, we are also very friendly. We will give honest advice though and it often ends up with people spending a fortune on mods and not getting a car that is much quicker at all in the end.

Do feel free to get involved in our other threads too, the more the merrier as they say and we are friendly (being friendly is actually a forum rule!:))

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back