Boring old mens cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What cars do you think are ideal for Boring old men?

Are there any makers you percieve as being boring or "sensible"?

When you are an old man or woman, what car do you think you would own? (I'm hoping it's not going to be a boring car.)

The 'Passat' is notorious for being considered an old man's car. When I bought my first Passat (B5.5 1.8T) at 19 years of age, mates teased that it was an old-mans car. A few modifications and 200BHP later it died down.

Since not looked back - I'm addicted. W8 was next (still own it) and the R36 is my latest Passat. I still get comments that I look like the boardroom executive - but I couldn't really give a hoot. I can still run rings around my mates RX-8 even on-track.

Any sort of Volvo, Estate particularity seem to be tarnished with the same brush.

With regards to 'suitable' for boring old men...

Old Jaguars with wooden dashboards, Rover 400's for the poorer old men.

I must admit, my car purchase history isn't normal for my age... and I've generally had 2-3 at once.

- Rover 216SLi (First car, blew up - head gasket, shock horror)
- VW Passat B5.5 20VT Saloon
- VW Bora 2.3 150BHP V5 Saloon
- VW Passat W8 Saloon
- LandRover Freelander Sport Premium
- VW Golf V5 2.3 170BHP
- VW Passat R36 Saloon

Some might say I have a thing for VW ;)

Last edited:
Rexton, the big focus, rover 75, smaller jags old folks cars.
I had a V70 20v turbo and got a load of stick from mates but it was the perfect car, fast, comfortable, as well built as any merc i've owned and could sleep in the back no probs, (I'm over 6"). I think volvo is one of the best cars people overlook

i have had a volvo got stick from that until they sat in the pass seat then they chnaged there mind the t5 goes a long way lol

and same as the lexus ls400 i had one of them got to be one of the best cars i have ever owned got some stick from that as well until i said what do you drive some poor old 1.6 vauxhall thing i drive a top of the range lexus 4.0 v8 soon stoped it

the volvo 340 i honestly have never seen a young person driving 1, the shape is so bland and they came in the most boring colours available

i have had a volvo got stick from that until they sat in the pass seat then they chnaged there mind the t5 goes a long way lol

and same as the lexus ls400 i had one of them got to be one of the best cars i have ever owned got some stick from that as well until i said what do you drive some poor old 1.6 vauxhall thing i drive a top of the range lexus 4.0 v8 soon stoped it

I had the honour of owning a Soarer 4.0 ltd, (Same set up as LS) Got to be one of the best cars I ever owned, Jap Aston Martin

the lexus are so smooth and loads of power there when you want it
A mate had a 2.5tt soarer, got clocked doing 175mph. iain wiltshire, was the tech guy on the soarer club forum, now owns a new aston but still maintanes the soarer was a better car

Last edited:
boring old mens cars: mercedes 180 d (non-turbo) - the performance on this car is just unbelievably bad, it is just so slow you can physically run (well maybe not me but am sure some people can) faster than this piece of crap can accelerate. also, really think it suit old men as they can have a mercedes as it really does potter along.

Triumph Acclaim
starac.gif

BMW 7 series ( which I have ), I sometimes get the old mans car look.....until of course I leave them standing at the lights, or outside my house with the bonnet open...thier eyes just seem to pop out of thier sockets, I did have a Lexus LS 400 and got the same response..

What do you call old :embarrest: im 64 & been retired for 3 years, why do youngsters assume I wish to drive boring cars ;). Ive been a Petrol head for about 45 years & love really fast cars. My car is far from boring believe me in fact you would probably be shocked :love:.

It doesn't sound like you are a "boring old man" then Madrod! I'll probably start a new thread on exciting old mens cars to balance it up for you sometime soon!:D

You're as old and boring as the car you drive. I bet you don't have a flat cap or wear carpet slippers either:)