BMW newbie from Cork.

ktdalton

Car
BMW 316i -2006
Well Hello there, I'm 68 years of age, a car nut and my newest pride and joy is a Mystic Blue BMW 316i. It is an enthusiasts car in my opinion and its great to find so much interesting info. on line regarding the 3 series. :p

tcsmileysign.gif

Hi and welcome to TC forum. I see you've had a look around the gallery already, thanks for the comments;), feel free to join in on any discussions and we like pics of cars :D Any mods done or plans for your car?

I like my car to be as it came out of the Munich factory. So the only things I have done are to clean the body of any minor paint scuffs and chip marks and clean the engine to look like new. Also I replaced the cup holder plastic covers as they were badly scratched. I need to cover the door pillars with something that looks like carbonfibre as someone tried to break into the car and did a little bit of damage to the door pillar. Anyone know where I could get hold of such stuff ? Its too expensive to have it replaced (€300 or so). So I need to do something to improve it. Otherwise the car is a beauty to look at and drive. How do you put up photos ?

Last edited:
Where do I post photos ?

Need to get to 10 post count then you can start adding pics to your posts. They can be attachments from your own computer files or a link to an online photo account like Photobucket or Postimage. Say Hi to some other newbies or start a project thread and you'll soon reach the 10 post requirement.

You have done some serious work Prince. Your BMW looks great.

Thanks a lot mate! Kind comments such as yours are really appreciated and help drive the project forward.

Pictures can be posted after you reach 10 posts. Here is a guide. I'd definitely be interested in seeing some pictures and once you can post some pictures of the damage (it's a shame these low life scum feel the need) and then we can help with that too.

Thanks a lot mate! Kind comments such as yours are really appreciated and help drive the project forward.

Pictures can be posted after you reach 10 posts. Here is a guide. I'd definitely be interested in seeing some pictures and once you can post some pictures of the damage (it's a shame these low life scum feel the need) and then we can help with that too.

Yes I agree. Unfortunately BMW's are a very attractive target to these scum as you say. However yesterday I googled 'carbonfibre' and came up with an Irish company that supplies the car industry among others and they sell a vinyl carbonfibre roll in small sizes. I ordered a roll (€14 incl. post) and will let you know how I get on. I saw a 3 series with carbon fibre on the door pillars and it looked super. I have done my best to straighten the damaged metal but its nearly impossible to get it totally smooth that is why I need to have it covered.

The carbonfibre on the door pillars looks brilliant. It also covers up the imperfections on
the slightly damaged pillar. Would post photos if I could but I guess that will have to wait until I am eligible.

What the best colour to paint brake calipers on a mystic blue E90 ? I'm thinking yellow might be appropriate but I have never seen a 3 series with yellow calipers.

Yes I agree. Unfortunately BMW's are a very attractive target to these scum as you say. However yesterday I googled 'carbonfibre' and came up with an Irish company that supplies the car industry among others and they sell a vinyl carbonfibre roll in small sizes. I ordered a roll (€14 incl. post) and will let you know how I get on. I saw a 3 series with carbon fibre on the door pillars and it looked super. I have done my best to straighten the damaged metal but its nearly impossible to get it totally smooth that is why I need to have it covered.

A lot of people see the badge but have no idea what engine is under the bonnet. I've seen actual carbon fibre covers that looked pretty sweet.

The carbonfibre on the door pillars looks brilliant. It also covers up the imperfections on the slightly damaged pillar. Would post photos if I could but I guess that will have to wait until I am eligible.

Only 3 posts to go mate! Get involved with a few threads and you'll soon hit 10.

What the best colour to paint brake calipers on a mystic blue E90 ? I'm thinking yellow might be appropriate but I have never seen a 3 series with yellow calipers.

I wouldn't bother on a 316 tbh. I think painting them a bright colour will only show off how small they are. If you really must paint them, then go body coloured.

Yes, I think you could have a point there. I'm having second thoughts about it. The calipers are kind of small allright.
Incidentally are there E90 316 BMW's in the UK ? I read somewhere that the smallest BMW petrol engine there (2006 onwards) was the 1800 and that the 316 was only for the Irish market ?
To complicate things further the 116 sold here has an 1800 engine ! :confused:

Yes, I think you could have a point there. I'm having second thoughts about it. The calipers are kind of small allright.
Incidentally are there E90 316 BMW's in the UK ? I read somewhere that the smallest BMW petrol engine there (2006 onwards) was the 1800 and that the 316 was only for the Irish market ?
To complicate things further the 116 sold here has an 1800 engine ! :confused:

I think it's available but tbh I'm not 100% sure now you mention it. The E46 316 used a 1.8 as well.

May I as the site admin wish you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars. It is really nice to meet you and I hope you'll be spending some time with us over the months to come.

You'll find us one of the friendliest and most helpful car tuning forums around.

What plans do you have for your car? I'm sure we can give you lots of ideas and suggestions if you need any.

Do feel free to chip in on our other topics and discussions, we are all here to share our passion for cars. Being friendly and helpful is a forum rule here and I'm sure you'll fit in just fine.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back