Are there too many models

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Just looking around at all the different types of car models on offer and there seems to be so many.

Do you think it is good to have this much choice or do you think the quality (drivability and put together ness!) suffer as a result.

Someone said that newer Audis, Mercs and even BMWs have not been as well made since the recession hit and lots of nasty cheap parts have been used!

I think you should be able to specify any engine in any model from a manufacturer (as long as it fits). There is too much brand protection forcing people to buy the S or GTI model instead of a run of the mill model with a stonking great engine.

Probably yes. But there has to be some standardisation otherwise every car would end up being a bespoke model, thus increasing the prices across the range.

I think VW have the most extensive line up from the Fox to the Touran and everything in between.

The most pointless is the Golf Plus? Why? Is it aimed at people who like to wear top hats whilst driving?

I think I have the most extensive line up but they don't sell, or at least you never see the most pointless models on the roads.

What I was getting at with Audi is they do manage to flog them to properly stupid or properly minted people. Always seeings A5 Sportbacks, A3 avants etc etc

There will no doubt be an A3 Allroad soon! To take on the Tiguan, Kuga and Yeti! I wonder if we will see an R8 Allroad?

I still don't think Audi have as many body styles as BMW or Even ford. I'll have to have a count up.

I do agree that manufacturers are filling niches that never existed before!

the manufacturers ask focus groups what they think should be in the model range and then they go back and figure out how many people will actually buy one, we get so many weird and wonderful ideas come out of these "focus groups" the weirdest one i have seen is a mercedes but i don't know what it's called

2007_mercedes_benz_r_class_official.jpg

It's like some sort of mpv off-roader type thing, who thought that would be a good idea?? Fugly

Last edited:
Yep. What happens is manufacturers keep making cars bigger, so they have to keep slotting a new small one in at the bottom.

I saw a new Twingosport and an old Cliosport next to each other at our car park yesterday. The Twingo was the same size as the Clio.

I agree, a look of these cars serve no real purpous. Take the Chelsea taxi's that are going around. None of them work off road, none of them work that well on road. There is no need. Mini should have a chat with them selves, the new one is bigger than a Focus. BMW should scrap the 1 seriese thing. I mean come on, WHY HAVE IT?? They should go to the standard 1.8,2,2.5,3 and 3.5 on every modle and stop pishing about with all the I modles and crap. I mean doesn't 'I' just stand for injection?? If that is the case, 'I' should have stopped going on cars back in 1992 as all petrols are injection.

Even the bigger car's need to have a deep think. Austin Martin have done it twice! Inventing cars that serve no purpous.

Renalt need to go and take there head for a dump. I think every single one you see on the road is differnt in its own way.