Are swirl pots any good

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I've heard about swirl pots but I don't know much about them so a few questions.

What does a swirl pot do and how does it work?
Does it enhance performance? - I'd particulalry like to hear from someone who has had one fitted and to know if it made much of a difference.

With diesel engines the answer is a BIG yes simply because of the insane injection pressures (circa 1300 bar and higher, rising year on year with each new generation of common rail engines) and the lack of lubrication that air offers in comparison to liquid diesel.

Whether diesel or petrol though, where are the air bubbles going to emanate from when the fuel is drawn from the bottom of the tank?

Anyway, I thought swirl pots were supposed to provide a slug of fuel in the event that the lift pump was not supplying enough on its own. Most fuel systems are over rated and can deliver more juice than the injectors will ever demand in one cycle so why bother?

More so for track use. It acts a slave pump/vessel so that you do not have to run a full tank therefore scavenging for fuel during hard cornering. It has been known for below half full tanks to starve the pump therefore losing power at a critical moment.

Right - that's something I'd not considered. Thanks.

Is this the same reason for dry sump lubrication perhaps?

Doesn't matter on the road as not many of us corner car our cars on the door handles :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back