Any tips on tuning up a 1992 Honda Civic LX?

Rysuko

Car
92 Honda Civic LX
A few months ago I had no idea how a car even worked, since then I've read up on some basics, but am still very inexperienced. From what I've read, I couldn't turn my car into a sports car or anything due to the stock engine inside of it, however I'd still be interested in tuning it up to get some extra power out of it, having that extra kick would be nice. I might also want to mention I recently got rammed in the side and my driver side door is useless at the moment as well as power features. I'm still waiting to hear from my insurance on what I might be getting from the guys insurance. Here's some pics of the damage

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m59/Rysuko/Car Crash/

So any tips? Advice on where to start, what to start with etc?

Hi & welcome, your post went to moderation because of the link you included. Once you have 10 posts you will be able to post links & pictures. The restriction is there to dissuade spammers.

They really did a number on your car didn't they! :blink:

Last edited:
Hi & welcome, your post went to moderation because of the link you included. Once you have 10 posts you will be able to post links & pictures. The restriction is there to dissuade spammers.

They really did a number on your car didn't they! :blink:

Oh ok, thanks for accepting the post and the welcome. Yea he tore up the side of my car. He was going left of center off a sharp bend and failed to yield to my lane despite my car being within 30 ft infront of him, he swerved directly into the side of the car then away.

Well in regards to getting more kick out of the engine. The basics are an intake and an exhaust wrap. If you're really looking to go cheap stop by an advance auto parts (I work at one in Mass) and get a spectre intake and a DEI exhaust wrap. I know I can't link yet either but I googled civic performance parts and this came up (http://www.procivic.com/pages-main_pg/category-70_139/engine-intake-manifolds.html ) I plan on getting a thermal insulating intake manifold gasket. This will isolate the block heat from the air your pulling into your intake.

Your goal is to get as much and as cold air as you can into your engine as possible. The exhaust wrap drastically lowers your engine bay temp so there isn't as much ambient temp being added to your cold air. I believe that you have your stock intake directed towards your passenger head lamp and that's where you want to direct your intake. The thing about air flow and the cheap solution is that the separate parts create drag points at each joint so if you want to do this right, take measurements (twice so you can buy once) and map out the shortest path to jamming that filter to the corner as far from your engine as possible. Another thing is when you assemble each individual piece, I suggest getting some cheap putty to seal each gap for drag reduction, sand it and blow air through to make sure the particles are gone. If you've got some money left you can get the insulating tape for maximum heat isolation.

If your exhaust manifold is in bad shape I'd consider getting a 4-1 with a high flow cat in the future and when you wrap this one buy a set of hose clamps so you can take it off and re-use it. Also to make it worth it, wrap the exhaust all the way to the piping outside the engine bay if you feel comfortable with removing the presumably rusty bolts.

Should you break any bolts in the process someone at advance can help you find replacements.

This was all done on my friends 2002 Nissan Sentra SER V-spec and he noticed considerable torque gains. The only thing is that I vented his bumber under the headlight he sent the intake to. If you're interested in a cheap way of making a custom bumber that gives your new intake a cold ram air effect let me know.

Happy modding and welcome,
Pyrodude :blink1: