Any Tips for tuning 318 iS coupe?

Hi cafin99, welcome to the site. What year is your BM mdoel? Have you done any tuning or mods at all yet?

tuning

It's on a L plate..1993 I think. No I havn't done anything to it yet but would love to get a bit more go out of it. Any top tips?

Hmm 93 - It has a cat. Which will rob you of some power - a sports cat will help a little but these are very expensive for the few bhp they release. I would also hesitate recommending add an induction kit but a panel filter which is a direct replacement for the standard paper air filter is a good compromise.

For bigger gains you could think about forced air induction either a turbo or supercharger. But because you are adding pressure with forced air induction you should seek to reduce the compression ratio of the engine and run at a relatively low boost level. Addition of Nitrous Oxide injection can also yield some silly power gains. Fast road cams will have a good effect too but not in isolation - to free up the power generated by the cam you will need the sports exhaust and a better flowing air filter. do sports exhausts of 2-2.5 inches in bore diameter. CAMS would also have a good impact on the performance of these engines fuel uprating becomes vital or you run the problems of running too lean an FSE boost valve will also make the car seem snappier and giuve a quicker on throttle response.

An engine swap is also worth looking into.

More power

Will a Panel filter give good results? I've heard conflicting opinions on this subject.

many thanks

Panel filters free up top end revs a little, perhaps adding a few BHP at peak rpm, they do not suck in warm air from the engine bay and do not sap your low end power like induction kits can. I recommend them but you will not notice a big difference with them unless you spend all your time up at high revs. The plus is that they are washable so you will save money long term.

What things have you heard about them - I usually find that there are some elements of truth in rumours but you should really get down to the bottom line.