Anti Lag

claymore

The Torque Meister
Car
T-10k,
People who know me will know that I like to do things my own way,
So heres a question for the turbo experts.
could I use a fuel solinoids and fogger off an old nitrous setup to inject petrol into the exhaust manifold to make a basic anti lag system?

I suppose you could inject fuel into the manifold yeah as the fuel will vaporise and spin the turbo. Seems like too much hassle to me though and I can't see it being very healthy for the turbo or giving consistant boost?

A good turbo-back exhaust, boost controller and mapping will help no end tbh. Or maybe use a turbo that is more appropriate to the engine size?

It would only inject when the throttle butterfly was closed, and in theory it should ignite in the manifold, I know that the turbo wouldn't last long, but they're only about £50 so replacements aren't a problem, plus it would only be used on the strip.

Last edited:
Masterauron: "I suppose you could inject fuel into the manifold yeah as the fuel will vaporise and spin the turbo."

You could. But it does sound f*****g dangerous! :) :) :) Reserve this for Brainiac or perhaps Top Gear!!!

Masterauron: "I suppose you could inject fuel into the manifold yeah as the fuel will vaporise and spin the turbo."

You could. But it does sound f*****g dangerous! :) :) :) Reserve this for Brainiac or perhaps Top Gear!!!
why would it be dangerous, this is how audi used to do it on the rally quatro's before the days of clever electronics.

why would it be dangerous, this is how audi used to do it on the rally quatro's before the days of clever electronics.

It was dangerous then as well!! But there's no need to do this now, with, as you point out, the advent of full engine management.

I far prefer the idea of the entire intake system carrying only air with the fuel being added directly by the injectors at the intake ports.

Spraying fuel into the manifold upstream of the turbo is bonkers in my opinion.

Let's face it; F1 cars in the early 1980s relied upon over-fuelling as a means to provide supplementary cooling.

Technologies come and go.

Last edited:
remap? probably your safest bet, plus i quite like the lag, cos when i does kick in it boots you right up the arse :lol:

remap? probably your safest bet, plus i quite like the lag, cos when i does kick in it boots you right up the arse :lol:
car is already mapped and nitroused, but i dont want to rely on nitrous to get over the lag, the other option I'm looking at is superchargin, but it's a bit tight on space.

yeah would possibly cost a bot by the time its mapped in.
how do the rally currently do it ? know it used to be a case of continuing to inject fuel even after the throttle is closed doing the same effect as your going for

these days they just cut the spark on every 5th pulse, so it doesnt ignite the fuel in the cylinders, the fuel just goes out the exhaust valve and ignites in the manifold or turbo.

"could I use a fuel solinoids and fogger off an old nitrous setup to inject petrol into the exhaust manifold to make a basic anti lag system?"

Yes you could, but it is fraught with problems, when we tried this on B15 engined Honda a few years ago, it used to work, BUT it used to blow off the muffler assembly all over the place,once in a way, frightening!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back