Airbag Replacement

Pixel

Road Burner
Car
Ford Fiesta Zetec-S
Airbag Replacement

I really want to upgrade the steering wheel in my car to something more sporty but it would mean loosing the drivers airbag which I kind of want just incase the worst happens.

Iv'e been told that a "racing harness" can provide the same amount of safety as an airbag so a racing steering wheel and a racing harness is a good combination.

Its also been said that the way the racing harness is fitted on the car, that the seat behind the driver cannot be used because of some bolt that is attached when fitting the harness? Im not sure on that part...

Anyway, Comments...?

dont know about the harness being as safe as a airbag. but at least youll be pinned into the seat rather than still having a lot of movement from the standard seat belts. both shoulders straped back, held in at the waist ( and groin if 5 or 6 point set up )

yeah most x point harnesses that i have seen fitted means removal of the rear bench to attached the shoulder straps into the back.

You might find as well that your insurers will baulk about covering you for any injury if you remove the SRS from the wheel. You'll also have warning lights on all the time.

You could wear a crash helmet! :lol:

What about a nice Cosworth wheel complete with airbag?

You could wear a crash helmet! :lol:

What about a nice Cosworth wheel complete with airbag?

Would the Cosworth wheel be compatible with my car?
Would it use its own airbag or would it attach itself to the one currently in my car?

If it has its own airbag, that sounds like an expensive fitting job to me, lol.

And how much is the average cosworth wheel anyway...?

The airbag comes with the wheel and needs a trigger - the Ford triggers as far as I know are all the same but it is worth checking. You will also need to check the steering wheel stud size but I think you will find that all Ford models of similar years contain the same one.

A breakers yard should supply a good Cosworth Wheel for very little cash outlay.