Advise and pointers please

Sound like a great project. You have to decide if you want to do the restoration yourself or take over someone elses. There are some unfinished projects about which prove to be a bargain.

Why just stop at the engine - put the VW Beetle seats in a Porsche 911 body! The ultimate swap! :wink:

I don't mind doing the majority of the work, but I must say I'd like to start with something that basic and on the road. At least I could start doing bits and bobs and not have a major resto as I'm still in the middle of building my V8 90 :(

2 projects on the go! Thats just plain greedy :lol: Your best bet then is probably a restored car. A modified one will need to be stripped back to basic before you can start modding it again to your chosen spec. Friend of mine had a 1303S with huge rear wheels and a 2.0 engine fitted.

You just really need something solid to work from but I can't see much around at the moment on ebay or autotrader.

Hhmm yes, I agree with not much around. I don't want anything with mods to be honest and don't want to spoil the look of the original car.

Someone has mentioned that I could get a road going one for £800 (not a sort after model) is that true?

I would have though nearer £1-1200. You might get lucky and find a bargain that has been languising in some OAP driveway and only covers a few 1000 miles per year but you really need to keep your eye out.

Road going means it starts and stops to many people and it wouldn't pass an MOT!

waynne said:
Road going means it starts and stops to many people and it wouldn't pass an MOT!
yeah its amazing what gets classed as road going

seen a scrappy with a evo 6 with road going light offside damage
light offside damage consisted of

headlight, bumper, wing, bonnet, doors front and back, suspension in the front had collapsed and the wheel was buckled not bad for the £4k they wanted for it but cant work out why it was classed as road going

Personally I would say go for a pre 70's model (with the lights that slope into the ft wings pre 68 i think but could be wrong) although these were 6v many have been converted to 12v by now. Then you have the later 1300 / 1500 that are nice (I had one that was massivly modded. de-seamed body, 4inch wider arches blended to body and running boards, light weigt split rims running 205/50/15 ft and 225/50/15 rear, one off paint, tuned engine etc,etc,etc). Stay away from the 1303 and 1302 as they had an ugly front screen.
Most important thing is to look for one thats solid. You dont want to be repairing the inner rear wings, floorpan, body and replacing heat exchangers, ft beam etc if you can get one already done!