adding a turbo in a toyota corolla liftback 1.3

Car
corolla liftback1.3
i want to put a turbo in my car just to put to 75hp stock to 100 or just a little more...... someone said if you can get a a low pressure turbo i could have that same horse power........

but i dont no about this thinks...... please help....

and please say what i need to put the turbo on the engine.....

i think my engine compression is 8 or 9:1.......

one more thing.... my car is a toyota corolla liftback 1988,1.3litres 75hp 12valve 4 cylindres with one aisan carburator......

Last edited:
We get asked this question a lot so have a look at this thread which covers the basics.
I have to admire your ambition though!:D

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f101/adding-turbo-nasp-engine-15003/
Cheap turbos can be purchased from breakers yards which are ideal for a try it and see type project.:bigsmile:

Please note that I don't think it is worth adding a turbo to an old car with a small capacity engine. There is nothing stopping you but the money and hassle will just not be worth the power gain you get. It is better to just buy a better car for your tuning project.:confused:

Adding a turbo is a major engineering task and without a kit with full instructions and all the parts you need there is a big risk of blowing up the engine. Expect to spend 50 hours upwards on a project of this type. This is not the sort of modification unless you are mechanically competent.

It is worth looking at superchargers as these are easier to install than a turbo is.

For a power gain of 25bhp or more on a 1.3 Corolla you'd need to change the gear ratios and I doubt the clutch would be up to the job either.

The Toyota ECU is a dog when it comes to remapping so you'd also need an aftermarket ECU likes the ApexII power FC unit but you said yours was a carb engine so it just means changing the timing.

Last edited:
i cant modify the ecu because i dont have......:confused:

i love the car and it handles like a dream.... i did some curves that even a bora tdi of a friend almost crash it in the same velocity of i can so.......

this car only does 190 km\h and for me is enough.....

just want the car having a little more boost.......

one more thing...... if i dont put a turbo and put 2 carburators in the car? does work?

Last edited:
this car in south america it was two engines more than europe...... the 2e-t is the same engine with a turbo and a 2e-te allthe same but is with injection not a carburator. the power of one of this is 100hp to 125hp.....

Have you thought about the twin carbs by Webber? They will probably make a fair bit more power although the base engine is only a 1.3.

Personally I think the biggest gain you'd see would come from a fast road cam.

I never really played with Carbs but I know a few guys who still rate them over modern FI engines.

i could swap but is so much hard and difficult to find a good engine here in portugal..... the only i have if i could find one is the 1.6 twin cam 16 valve with 125hp..... is the same engine as ae86 but the traction of the wheels is at the front....... my car has a gti version but was not produce here and is very hard to find as well.