Accord Type-R

Type-Riter

Wrench Pro
Hi boys and girls. New Type-R owner looking for advice. The motor I have bought does not have an owners 'instruction book'. Can someone please help with the following:

Which Oil should I use as a top up?
I read somewhere that there is an additive for the Engine Oil which reduces friction. Anyone know what it's called and where to get it?
I have been told to only fill up with Super Plus Unleaded. Is this correct? (I have to use BP garages, due to company fuel card).

Finally, the car vibrates quite violently at 120mph (!). Is this a simple case of wheel balancing?

Look forward to your replies.

Hi Type-Riter! Welcome to the site. Oil must be absolutely correct - using other types can cause problems in the engine - I will try to find out this for you. It is probably a synthetic oil around 10w30 but let me check this - what year is your car and do you have the engine code?

Additives to reduce friction - X1 Superlube is my preferred additive. Other people go for slick 50 which contains PTFE. Super plus is a higher octane fuel an due to the high compression of your engine it is safest to use this every time you fill up equivenlts are available in all petrol stations now. NB: Japanese fuel is higher octane than the UK so most import cars run better on it. Using a lower octane you risk engine knock which can cause serious problems.

ATR's are lovely cars to drive - I'm jealous - what colour is it?

Hi Waynne. I take it said additives are available from Halfords? The car is a 'Y' reg, 2001, 49000 on the clock, in metallic black. Goes like stink. Can't get engine code at mo as car at home.

Thanks for your help.

Black - NICE :mrgreen: Got any photos.

Mobile 1 Fully synthetic 9000 mile service interval and you must top up regularly.
NB the oil rating is 5W-20 on the 03-04 accords but some people are saying 0w-30!!!

I think you'll find the answer moulded into the oil filler cap (another good idea by Honda!) and I reckon for the slightly older cars it is 5w30. Most oil retailers have a book with all the details so you can check up on this.

Oh and yes Halfords do sell the additives although X1 is pretty hard to track down.

I'm sad like that - I take photos as soon as I get a car because that's usually the cleanest and shinyest it ever is. Plus when I notice a dent or scratch I have the comfort of knowing it must have happened when I had the car! :shock: