A3 - 350bhp? Is Torque car's claim right?

T

tiptoptramp

Hello there. Looking through the website I see that there are two cars supposed to be the best by cheapest to Moddify. Can Torque car tell me how much it would cost to tune the Audi A3 1.8T (150bhp) to the figures stated? I think a superchip would be around the £300 mark, but how much would a bigger turbo cost, and where could I get one fitted!?? :eek:

Any ideas?

Paul.

For those power figures and assuming you are using an AGU block for strength to start with.

Remap alone - takes a 150bhp car (with a KO3s) to the 200-225 mark (£3-400) - Revo, Angel, Celtic Tuning. Giving a nice reliable power hike with no other modifications, we told you it was easy.

With a Front Mounted Inter Cooler, uprated diverter valve and KO4 turbo, Sports catalyst, full sports exhaust and uprated air filter you should be looking at hitting the 300-350 mark and "stage 2" remap. A KO4 turbo can be obtained cheaply from a breakers yard, they were fitted to a lot of the 225bhp models based on the 1.8T. You'll probably also need to uprate the clutch if you were aiming at 350bhp.

Otherwise get a hybrid turbo built and choose your own power band. These cost around £900-£2000 depending on where you go and what you are after.

Last edited:
Oh and look up Awesome GTI in Manchester, they have done some great work on the 1.8T engines.

Waynne where on earth are you getting those figures fella? Sorry mate but they are way off the mark.

A remap on an AGU running the standard KO3 will see about 180-190bhp at a push.
And its only the later ( post 97 ) AGU's that have the forged crank. earlier ones have a cast crank and are no stronger than any other 20vT lump.

in the ideal world what you'd want is a BAM/AUQ/AUM bottom end, with the 20mm wrist pins from an AGU, and a large port AGU head with the larger BAM/AUQ/AUM injectors. Hybrid turbo, Large FMIC, uprated DV, tubular manifold, sports cat and exhaust system, with a custom rolling remap.

But thats a very easy way to blow 5k....

The figures were quoted to me for my A3 (200bhp on a remap with an uprated diverter valve), I know the KO3s goes a bit further which is where I got the 225 from. Anyhow the 1.8T is a great engine to tune up. Double the power for £4-5k - I don't think many other engines offer this flexibility.

CNC cylinder heads do a +1 exhaust port size which would be worth going for.

If someone only had say £2k to spend on a 1.8T which would be the best mods in your opinion and what power figures would they expect to hit?

The best mods in my opinion are what i listed above, how much it costs you all depends on how much work you can do yourself and what parts you use. ie buying a brand new massive Forge intercooler will cost you ££££ whereas you could find one of a similar spec that is OE on another car and modify to fit, saving you LOTS.

As for spending 2k, it all depends on what engine you start with, and what your ultimate goal is. its all fine and dandy talking about bhp numbers, but how the power is delivered and across what part of the rev range is FAR more important, think thats something people overlook MASSIVELY! how id spend 2k would not translate into big bhp, but useable power where i wanted it ;)

Gt28 is a very wise choice, big enough to flow more, yet not big enough to introduce huge amounts of lag into the equation ;)