1999 Mitsubishi Galant GLS Auto

mac5543

Hi All,

Just recently, my Galant has been making a knocking noise from the front n/s wheel area when I drop down of speed bumps and holes in the road. The vibration can be felt under my feet whilst driving. Is it the driveshaft? If so, is it worth doing myself or putting it in for repair? Appreciate any advice

Regards

Jack up the wheel and check it for play. It could be the bearing, or might even be a suspension issue. A garage will have the tools to check and remove all of these easily. Getting a driveshaft off without a tool can take forever (unless someone has a trick!) and you can easily damage the driveshaft so i would say use a garage unless you are reasonably competant and have the proper tools yourself.

Does the bump happen if you just bounce the car whilst stationary?

Waynne,

Thanks for this. There is no noise when bouncing the suspension when the car is stationary. Just going down from a higher level. I will get it booked into the Garage this week & see what happens.

Regards

Mac

My 02 v6 galant had the same, turned out to be a combination of two things; Steering rods were bent, and apparently play can develop in the suspension ball joints...