10 ways to kill your car?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
The old mantra if you look after your car, your car will look after you certainly holds true. Car ownership is becoming more and more common with many households running 2 or more cars. Sadly though few drivers are sympathetic to, or fully understand the way their car works. A little knowledge will keep your relationship with your car running smoothly!

Continue reading...

Just the other day I found out there are genuine companies out there who's sole task is to take the wrong fuel out a car. What a mess... At my local shell, some old bloke put the wrong fuel in and everything had to come out. Tank was drained, injector rail was taken apart, injectors flushed! The amoutn of people watching was biblical.

You shouldn't need to take apart the fuel rail unless the car was started!

These companies also separate out the mixed fuel and sell it on or use it in their own fleet. It can be quite lucrative for them!

Some cars prime the injectors as soon as you remotely unlock the doors
That's true but I was assuming that the fuel lines and fuel filter should still be full of diesel until the engine starts and starts sucking up new fuel. I could be wrong in this assumption though as I'm still new to diesels and have a petroly outlook on cars!

I asked the bloke at the counter and he said he tried to drive, started then smoked heavily then cut out. Quite how he got it started I am not sure, maybe he still had the correct diesel in there.

My Mini primes the injectors as soon as you unlock the car. You can hear the fuel pump start!

Failing to service it, use the correct oil and driving hard from cold and shutting it off whilst the turbo is spinning are pretty much guaranteed ways to kill your car.

A little knowledge will keep your relationship with your car running smoothly!

I admit to being ignorant about the way cars operate. I'm not proud of that; in fact, I'm ashamed. But I AM trying to do something about it, starting with having bought a Haynes workshop manual which has proven to be an invaluable starting point.

Of course, I can do simple things like keep the paintwork clean and free from bird droppings; inflate the tyres to the correct pressure, keep the wiper fluid topped up, and keep the LPG 'Flash Lube' topped up. But I am keen to do more. The car's in for a service next week, but I'm determined that it will be ME who changes the oil in 6 months' time. I'll also aim to change the spark plugs and air filter.

I'm sure I'll get some good advice here.

The old mantra if you look after your car, your car will look after you certainly holds true. Car ownership is becoming more and more common with many households running 2 or more cars. Sadly though few drivers are sympathetic to, or fully understand the way their car works. A little knowledge will keep your relationship with your car running smoothly!

Continue reading...

I thought you posted 10 ways to kill a car so people can learn not to do them to save their cars.