1.8t tuning advice

barrysA3

Car
1998 a3 1.8t agu
hi guys, just bought an r reg a3 1.8t :bigsmile: with 88k on the clock and thought i'd join a forum for advice and ideas. looking to do a bit to it, nothing too crazy as its my daily driver. thought about induction kit but apparently the standard airbox and air feeds pretty good? also a remap but i dont want it too cause damage to my new pride and joy or wallet, extra power would be nice tho! any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

welcome to the site!!:D

if you have only recently got the car i would hold of having a map (i know the extra power would be nice!!) 1 reason only get used to the power you have now (sorry dont know what you had before you a3?) then 6 months down the line get it mapped. believe me it totally transforms the car so then you can get 12 months of joy out of the car instead of just 6-8 months. because it gets expensive after that! new ic, new tip, new exhaust, bigger turbo, another map and so on

hey and welcome to the site mate.
yeah the standard airbox is pretty good its the turbo intake pipe thats poor on the earlier ones.
on the r reg you will have the smallest turbo there i would advise trying to get one of the slightly bigger ones from a post 03 car, they are direct replacements and would give better results when you do map it.
spend a bit of time looking round the engine bay at all the vac pipes as its 12 year old then some may have started to deteriorate

awesome, thanks. i wasnt planning a remap too soon but from what ive read about these engines its the only way to go. getting it running as good as i can is the first priority. is it worth getting a re-circulating dump valve at some point? or is the standard one good enough?

oh and herb, i had a mk2 golf 1.8 gti 8v (digifant) before! the audis the quickest car ive owned.

if the original recirc still on then i would want to get it changed, esp if your wanting to map it. like alot of the hoses the rubber used in it wasnt great and does fail. the one used on the TT ended up being a replacement part for them but its still prone to splitting. (mines went with just over 30k on the clock)

most common one is the forge 007p

A belated Hello and a warm welcome to TorqueCars, nice to have you in our ranks. What plans do you have for your car?

You have great taste in cars! ;)

How did you find us?

hi waynne, thanks mate. yeh its a top car, really pleased with it! just a bit more power, so probably a remap. just a bit concerned about the life of the turbo and clutch after the remapping. dont know whether i need to worry tho?

probably a bit of suspension mods too, make it stick a bit more. not that its short on grip standard, but no harm having a bit more! open to suggestions tho, pretty newbie to these engines. heard the 1.8t's nice and versatile so i think i picked the right one!

if you have a 5 spd gearbox you can get very cheap OEM upgrades which will be able to handle the increases. although im not sure if it can be used with the quattro

for grip - better tyres and again if FWD then get a rear anti roll bar on the back

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back