206 RC for racing - need help

Knutspeed

Car
Pug 206 RC
We have a few well popular classes over here for budget production saloons, and I'm looking into either buying or building up a car for me & the offspring. In the particular class we are looking at, there are lots of ex-cup 206s among BMWs, Fiestas, Volvos etc. 206s seem fairly competitive. I've just skimmed the regs, but it all seems quite straight forward. For the class we're considering, it's more or less down to max 160hp at the wheels, minimum weight 800kg.

I've just come across a 206 RC up for sale, standard and decently solid. Needs work on the rear suspension afaik. Considering buying it, price would be about 65% of getting a complete & running ex-cup 206.

So, was hoping someone could mention some of the pitfalls, or what would be needed to make it semi-competitive. Thinking mostly about reliabilty. We´d bolt in a safety devices cage, seat, belts, kill switches, and strip everything else.
Curious mainly about brakes (used to own 205GTIs, 309 GTI, 306 GTI and they would cook the brake fluid in a few laps) , would I remove the ABS/airbags etc, gearbox/diff required upgrades, suspension upgrades, rollbars, bushings, electronics/engine mgmt etc.

Building would also be part of the journey, as junior has just turned 16, so an option would be to take it on as a longer term project and do it with him. I'm used to building race cars, mainly for historic racing, and have access to workshop + tools. Machining and engine/gearbox work is very expensive here compared to in the UK.

I know buying a running racecar is most likely the cheapest option, then again there are no guarantees either way.

Thankful for any tips!

Hello and welcome :)

For reliability and a worthwhile power and performance increase then this is what I would do provided that money is no object.

1 Rebuild the motor by boring it out to the maximum factory specs.

2 Knife edge the crank .

3 Install hi compression forged pistons and rods.

4 Fit Total Seal rings .

5 Reco the head and have it ported and port matched to the inlet manifold.

6 Enlarge the throttle body .

7 Balance the entire rotating assembly.

8 Upgrade the brakes with larger diameter discs and 4 piston callipers and braided lines / hoses and race spec pads.

9 Use RBF 600 or higher rated brake fluid.

10 Fit a brake bias valve.

11 Install a lightweight flywheel.

12 Fit a baffled oil pan / sump.

13 Fit lightweight alloy wheels.

14 Remove the dust shields from the brakes and use flexible hose to direct air from the spoiler to the centre of the ventilated discs.

It would be good if you advise of how many of the above are allowed under the rules.

PS there may be a suspension upgrade kit available that already complies with the rules.

Thanks for your input! This will be a budget build, and with the RC engine being close to the class max I think I'll stay with just the basic external mods to it (intake, exhaust, remap).

Currently found an ex-cup race car that needs some TLC but might be a better option.