Brake pad selection

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Well I have worn a new set of front pads down to app 3-4 mm thickness over 2 track day events that involved 6 warm up 30 hot and 6 cool down laps @ my local track and if they were used for another track day I fear that the pads would be word down to the backing plate and damage the rotors

I have looked at many types of pad compounds that will give great cold stopping power for the events with no warm up laps as well as really good hot retardation without any fade or loss of pad to disc grip and have considered the following pads.
EBC Yellow Stuff
Circo S88
PMU Club racer
Winnmax WMP814
Intima SR pads
Forza FP3M351KA

After much deliberation have ordered the Forza pads as am told that they have a working temperature range of 0-800 degrees and are Quote " kind to the discs" but unfortunately they won't be in stock before the next track day so have cancelled my entry.

If the car was only street driven the pads would have lasted for many more thousands of miles / klm's BUT track work shortens pad life dramatically.

Will post my opinions as to how well they perform after they are fitted ,and bedded in and track tested.

Be interested to know. I have found that many high performance pads are pretty useless on the road as they never get to their operating temps and I end up getting a lot of noise and little stopping.

Do Pagid offer pads for your car? They would be my goto.

I initially researched the pad operating range as well asking a few questions from suppliers with motorsport backgrounds as well as prices before deciding on the Forza FP3's so hopefully they will be up to my needs and expectations fingers xxed

Seeing that I use the CTR for both closed road events as well as track I need pads that work well in both types.

I will check on the Pagids.

Seeing that 2 track day events wore the pads down to app 3-4 mm of pad material left in the future I plan to remove a new pad and measure it with a digital micrometer to find out how much wear takes place after a track day.

I plan to do this when I remove the track wheels/tyres to refit my road wheels/tyres after an event as that will give me info on exactly how many track events the pads should last before they need replacing so I can order a replacement set of pads to have on the shelf to be ready when needed.

I'm in a Corvette club and several of the members do track days on a regular basis. Our sponsoring Chevrolet dealer lets us use the lifts once a month, and I often see these members bleeding/replacing their fluid 3-4 times a year, and at the same time changing over from street pads to track pads (and vice versa). You may want to consider doing the same before and after your track events to preserve your track pads and give you better street performance.

I'm in a Corvette club and several of the members do track days on a regular basis. Our sponsoring Chevrolet dealer lets us use the lifts once a month, and I often see these members bleeding/replacing their fluid 3-4 times a year, and at the same time changing over from street pads to track pads (and vice versa). You may want to consider doing the same before and after your track events to preserve your track pads and give you better street performance.

My car is nor a daily driver and the FP3 pads heat range is 0-800deg so they are fine for commuting and track days. have posted the link and they are lo dust and wear so you might consider trying them on your Vette.

Be interested to know. I have found that many high performance pads are pretty useless on the road as they never get to their operating temps and I end up getting a lot of noise and little stopping.

Do Pagid offer pads for your car? They would be my goto.

Obi I am more than happy with the FP3 pads and think that maybe you should try them sometime as you might be converted over from the Pagid's

Interesting, did they bit consistently from warm to hot?

Yes I find the pedal feel very even and consistent and they inspire confidence lap after lap so that's why I have fitted another set and have decided stick with them.

I'm sure that there are other brands that may offer similar or better performance but I am more than happy to stick with the FORZA FP3's

FYI after 30 hot laps @ my local track they wore down 1.5 mm and wile I should be able to get another track day out of them am not prepared to risk damaging the 2 piece rotors so will install a new set of Forza FP3 pads that are already and waiting in my man cave.
Will bed them in well before then.

I find them confidence inspiring with their consistent bite lap after lap and apply the brakes as near as possible at the same marker every lap.

I have used at least 5 different types of pads in my track and rally cars over the years and am more than happy with the FP3's as they haven't given me any reason to try other makes / types.

I’m hard on my brakes too as I trail brake. I upped the calipers to 4 pots and run DS2500 pads. Now I stop quicker than I drive! Happy with that set up and decent spec fresh fluid on a regular basis.

I also trail brake as well and it depends on the speed and corner as to how deep I dare go into a corner.