I just went for a drive last night.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Haven't done this for a while. I just jumped in my car and went for a drive. Not the usual "got to get to point b drive" but a pure and simple "just get in the car and go for a drive". The roads were empty and wet and to be honest it just felt so good! I've not driven purely for fun for some time. Isn't it nice to just crank up the radio and go for a blat along fast country A roads and clear your head.

Did this a few weeks ago when I got the new car - really good fun. Frankly I do it relatively often to try and clear my head.

Helps, I find, so long as the traffics light/none existant.

Late night driving with empty roads is amazing. I haven't done it for a few months now, not since I got my new car, maybe I should take out my Civic one night?!

as soon as i finish work i crank up my music and always take the long way home, just for the sake of goin for a drive, i enjoy it so much

I also do the same, quite often taking the long way home. It's good to do this on occasions for safety as well since it helps to keep your skills honed.

With the price of fuel at the moment though I don't do it as much as I used to. If Gordon allows many more pennies onto the price of a gallon then I going to flog the Peugeot and buy a boring 1.0 litre thing that I hate driving so the temptation is not there to use it more than necessary.

i love going for "random" drives all over and its always better to do it later at nite when roads are empty, went over to Xscape at Castleford other night to cinema because was up that way and dint get out of film till 11:45pm and on way home theres some loverly straight roads. Had some right fun! i always tend to go on random drives though especially to coast's etc, but like ya say HDI price of fuel is starting to make think twice because everytime i hear my dump valve go and turbo kicks in ya can watch the needle just drop.. and i only ever use super unleaded and thats about £1.08 / litre so as ya can imagine a "random" drive could end up quite costly

It is a shame the cost of fuel is getting higher - expect to pay £2 a litre as its not going to get any cheaper!

Early mornings are good - the roads are totally empty. The best drive I ever did was when me and a few friends took our cars down the coast road from Dover to Rye on Christmas day. There are some lovely twisty roads and corners and the roads were empty.

The Mk1 RS200 was the best fun for clearing your head on a nice summer evening, Plenty of power to drift the back out just enough through the bends, But in its high state of tune with 186 BHP at the rear wheels, economy when driven properly rarely returned more than 4 mpg. Enjoyed it for ten years, But only have those memories as i have just sold it.

Had a good offer from a good friend. He has the space and cash to keep it in the manner it is used to. Parts ever increasing in price and getting harder to source, and Gordon keeps piling on the taxes on fuel, 100 miles drivimg hard on a track takes about 25 gallons at a fiver a go. My wife said its starting to eat into credit card where as i used to be able to do it for not much more than i would spend in the pub on a Friday night.

Ah those were the days when time and fuel prices allowed me to do that.

I remember some the best days of my life were when I worked about 34 miles from home and usually finished work around 0230-0400 hrs. One of the many reasons for going to work everyday, even though the commute to work was ridden with traffic-jams, was the prospect of the drive back, with empty roads, loud music and the smell of the night air, laden with dew, and ripening wheat and mustard, wafting into the car.

Would sometimes stop on the dark deserted roads, turn off the engine, stare up at the sky and soak in the night sounds of the wilderness.

Yes! Those were the days......

Nowadays, the long drives are work related, and just a commute to point of destination.

Been at least an year since I did that. And now that you have brought this up, I am gonna try my best to get that kind of solace, asap, mebbe as spring-cleaning of my mind........... ;) ;) ;)

I love the feeling of my 5.0 v8 just cruising. Being in the US, we are lacking in the way of windy back roads, but it's still sooo nice to just relax and listen to that nice deep soundtrack...

lumb lumb lumb lumb lumb.....

I love the feeling of my 5.0 v8 just cruising. Being in the US, we are lacking in the way of windy back roads, but it's still sooo nice to just relax and listen to that nice deep soundtrack...

lumb lumb lumb lumb lumb.....

Sounds marvellous!