Wonky cars & fat people

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
I've notice a few cars recently that are either sagging to one side (really fat drivers) or that seem to have the rear wheels further to the right of the fronts so the car is looking like it is doing a very very minor drift. IS it the tracking being out that causes the latter.

I just wonder if a fat person could be too heavy for the car to cope with. Are there restrictions on weight you can carry in your axles?

It also seems like fat people up our way are driving really small cars. Shouldn't they just get big cars like Range Rovers and the like.

Have you got any of these where you live? Would you buy a car that is wonky? - I know I wouldnt.

Q xavier: I've notice a few cars recently that are either sagging to one side (really fat drivers) or that seem to have the rear wheels further to the right of the fronts so the car is looking like it is doing a very very minor drift. IS it the tracking being out that causes the latter.

I just wonder if a fat person could be too heavy for the car to cope with. Are there restrictions on weight you can carry in your axles?

It also seems like fat people up our way are driving really small cars. Shouldn't they just get big cars like Range Rovers and the like.

Have you got any of these where you live? Would you buy a car that is wonky? - I know I wouldnt.

It's a bit discriminatory to suggest this.

How fat is fat?

How heavy is heavy?

How capable does a car need to be to cope with a 'fat' person (your words) ?

What's the message here?

Rgds,

P.

I've notice a few cars recently that are either sagging to one side (really fat drivers) or that seem to have the rear wheels further to the right of the fronts so the car is looking like it is doing a very very minor drift. IS it the tracking being out that causes the latter.

Just thought of the proper response

"If you don't like it, Stop following me. and my cars not wonky"

Taking an Astra Estate as an example the Gross loaded weight is 1940kg's and the net weight is 1336kg so you could have 4 passengers weighing 151kgs each so it shouldn't be an issue with most adults weighing around 85kgs (US male average).

You can see suspension sagging where a larger person tends to sit, one of our previous cars sagged on the front passenger side by about an inch and we were told by the garage that this is usually due to a large passenger always sitting on that side.

HDI is right though, fat is subjective and it is probably best that you didn't quantify it.

HDi is clinically obese according to current definitions. I'm just about 18st (roughly 252lb or 114kg),

But I'm not fat. So how can I be clinically obese?

I'm with HDi - at 115kgs, but just average height so regarded as obese as well. according to the doctor 35kgs overweight. (unlike HDi the fact is though that am a bit of a fat bugger and could do with losing weight :confused: ).

Anyone know who came up with the bmi? Can i sue them for making me feel depressed at being overweight? :(

on the beneficial side, if you had lots of 'heavier than the average person' in the car (distributed at each corner - 2 front 2 back) then this may improve the cornering as the car would sit down more on the road?

:D I can be a bit smug here (although it has required a lot of self control), I've been losing weight for the last few months, and am currently 69.853225 ks! (Lost about 1.5 stone!) My waist has gone from 37.5 inches to 33.5 inches. I feel like I have more energy and am healthier than I have been for ages.

Try it chaps! We could have a Members weight reduction thread and encourage each other ;) The plus side is we'd all use less fuel and experience quicker cars! :lol:

Last edited:
I am over 6'4" so I get away with it. BMI is a load of junk - takes no account of different metabolic rates, build and all other things that make us individuals.

The BMI is one of most pointless yet dangerous medical measurements ever.

Practically every member of the England Rugby squad is classed as obese, anyone with any extra muscle mass.

Besides, who gets to decide what 'normal' is. ?

Completely agree. We're going to wind up a nation of stick thin anorexics with severe mental illness because we're terrified to eat!!

Let's face it, more people in this world die of starvation than of obesity!!!!

:D I can be a bit smug here (although it has required a lot of self control), I've been losing weight for the last few months, and am currently 69.853225 ks! (Lost about 1.5 stone!) My waist has gone from 37.5 inches to 33.5 inches.

very impressive Waynne, thats quite a drop! unfortunately my lack of will power precludes me from starting on any kind of diet or regular exercise.

BMI has been criticised for years.

Having said that new evidence suggests that being healthy but obese isn't much better than being fat and obese, as some of the problems suffered are the same.

For the record, I'm underweight, yet eat roughly the same as my father who tends towards being overweight. It was bad enough that when I was at school, my mother recieved a letter telling her that I wasn't eating enough. She responded with a reply of "you take him and feed him for a week then". Strangely, they never responded.