Will 2011 be a good year

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How positive are you about 2011? Will the economy recover? Do you think that car makers will come out of "recession" mode and start making interesting models again.

A hard one to answer, during 2010 there were signs that the global market was recovering as the steel industry was increasing production at most mills. This would also give a good indication of how certain sectors were increasing their buying of steels etc for production. So hopefully we may see some development in the automotive market, there's some way to go before people will spend big on cars seeing that the propert market is still in decline. Then again, this may have the opposite effect as people may decide to stay put and buy a new car perhaps?

Personally, it's going to cause problems for me insurance wise I think.

I paid £850 TPFT last year. My Celica has just been written off (non-fault!); I've just moved house and had my insurance cancelled as a result (they "don't insure in [my] new area"). Cheapest quote I can find now is £2500 TPFT if I pay it in one lump. Put a deposit down on a Saab 9-3, but can't get insurance yet because the third party insurer *still* hasn't sent me the cheque; meaning the claim is officially pending and that I technically have no no-claims until it's closed. Driving around in the slowest Octavia hire car in existence and not being able to pick up my shiny new car is somewhat annoying :p

So what's next on the list for 2011? Oh yeah: increased fuel duty, increased VAT and increased insurance premium tax.

Oooh, I'm a bitter so-and-so. I'm sure there will be many great things happen this year, I've just not figured out what they will be yet.

I have a feeling its going to be a terrible year. Fuel to exceed £1.40 a L, Vat rise that will never decrease. All of us are paying for what bankers messed up on. Its a joke :mad:

I have a feeling its going to be a terrible year. Fuel to exceed £1.40 a L, Vat rise that will never decrease. All of us are paying for what bankers messed up on. Its a joke :mad:

this is only partially correct, at the insistance of the govt (starting in the US) the 'everyman shld have a home' policy pushed more and more lending to be made to those in the 'poverty' bracket. the bankers just took this to the next logical step. the govt should not have bailed out any banks and let market forces determine what would happen.

on topic 2011 is going to be terrible. the end of the world is coming, maybe the Mayan's were right. Drive your cars while you can. Just a quick look at the news today; birds and fish dying on mass in the USA, more unexplained deaths of birds in Sweden with additional large deaths of fish in Brazil and New Zealand.
Food prices aer sky rocketing, this has not filtered through to food prices yet but staples like bread are going to increase by levels of 20-30%. Coal prices are shooting upwards. Metals, minerals and oils are accelerating in price. but are your salaries?

we will all be poorer by the end of the year - if we are still here.

2012 will be worse, civil riots are coming!

enough doom mongering for today!

A hard one to answer, during 2010 there were signs that the global market was recovering as the steel industry was increasing production at most mills. This would also give a good indication of how certain sectors were increasing their buying of steels etc for production.

we are export from steel mills in Vietnam. During 2009 they were running at 50%, last year they managed to eek out 60-70% capacity (these are export oriented mills) but they are struggling to get above this. frankly suspect the world economy is not is as good a state as it is being made out to be and if China has a problem..................

You know what. If I had no pride, I'd just say sod it. I'd leave my job, sell my car and move all my savings into an international account. Then live of the state and work cash in hand doing odd jobs here and there.
Because it seems to me, the more you earn, the more you have, the more you have to pay for these lucsury items. And I'm afraid, cars now days are a lucsury item. I have been scanning through autotraders the last few months, Looking for a nice diesel. WHY? Because THE MAN has put the price of fuel, tax, insurance, mot, service, oil, and tyres up.

And why?? Because PEOPLE GOT GREEDY! Banks offering 110% mortgages (earning them more interest), Loaning money out at lower interest than a top end savings account (to get people borrowing). Then what happens??? People cant pay it back so they get these debt reduction companies to sue the banks and get 50%/60% and sometimes even 100% of the debt wiped. Costing who? US!

Then you had the high up bankers investing overseas. Investing is companies they have bought a couple of privet shares in.

As soon as that happens, the trust is lost, lose the trust, then there is no support in the pound. The pound depreciates, casing us more money, losing us more money in shares bankers have invested overseas.

WE NEED TO STOP BORROWING. Because the banks never have the money to lend you, they just take it off share holders and earn there money on the interest. EVERYONE SHOULD LEARN TO SAVE. Then banks can use your money in saving accounts to earn them money on the stock exchange, rather then using the money from interest generated by a loan.

the banks are certainly, in some respects, to blame. My sister went to get a mortgage for a flat, they tried to offer her 20% more than she needed which would, when the real interest rate kicked in, result in her not being able to afford to eat. A huge amount of mis selling went on and the banks shuold bear the full brunt of this - if they go bust so be it, the govt should insure the deposits only, they (or we, as its our money) arent here to insure the banks.

but people are also to blame - people have a responsibility themselves to use their own brains, however small, and they can see if they can really afford to buy something or not.

BBJ, you are right, the problem is debt, and we, in the west, are hooked on it. but the problem is, now their is no way out.

This year stinks already...

> 1.34p/litre for V-Power
> RS4's in the bodyshop (women towing a trailer caught it and tore the suspension apart)
> Range Rover Electronic Park Brake has packed up and air suspension compressors caved.
> Work is manic, I've far too much to do in too little time
> Now I can't play xbox, the projector lamps gone pop 3100 hours early!! WTH?!
I could rant all night. January looks set to be "one of those months"...

This year stinks already...

> 1.34p/litre for V-Power
> RS4's in the bodyshop (women towing a trailer caught it and tore the suspension apart)
> Range Rover Electronic Park Brake has packed up and air suspension compressors caved.
> Work is manic, I've far too much to do in too little time
> Now I can't play xbox, the projector lamps gone pop 3100 hours early!! WTH?!
I could rant all night. January looks set to be "one of those months"...

Is alright mate, I got kicked out of the house on Saturday because I was taking too long to move in?? How does that work? It wasn't a fact that I didn't want to move in, it was the cant be arsed getting the rest of my stuff fact. Spent a night with a mate and was back the next day. What a wast of a week end.

And now when I re-insure my car next month, my insurance complany want £96 for the dump, £49 for the pannel filter and £58 for the exhaust!! Thats an extra £200, and my renewal quote is only £50 less than last year!