Why so much bass?

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Bearing in mind that I am of the opinion that trying to get great sounds from a car system is a totally pointless and waste of hard earned cash, can someone explain why the system (that can cost thousands) is then drowned out by the bass knob being turned fully clockwise?

Surely there is more to music than bass?

I guess that I must be missing something (apart from perfroated eardrums and the fine hairs in my inner ear).

I have big bass but if you build the system right you get crystal clear sounds as well. I've got some component speakers up front an they are real loud an really crisp. The bass just adds depth to the sounds. At the minute i'm in the middle of changing my install from 1 car to another. I'll try an take pics of it bit by bit an post them up of progress. But anyway if the system is built right you can have clear sounds and deep bass and they will work very well with each other...:D

The only bass I like is when Mark King is slapping away! Other than that I get peed off when in traffic all I hear is boom boom from cars around me.

I have big bass but if you build the system right you get crystal clear sounds as well. I've got some component speakers up front an they are real loud an really crisp. The bass just adds depth to the sounds. At the minute i'm in the middle of changing my install from 1 car to another. I'll try an take pics of it bit by bit an post them up of progress. But anyway if the system is built right you can have clear sounds and deep bass and they will work very well with each other...:D

It appears from more than 5m to drown out everything else! If I tried playing Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin with a lot of bass the music would be ruined. Do you just play stuff specifiaclly designed to sound good with excesive bass, or will anything do?

You wouldn't like to be near me in traffic then....:lol:

I would get out of my car, tap on your window, smiling :bigsmile:, then after you have wound your window down to say "hi" I would reach in and nick your keys and throw them across the road!

I would love to do that but probably pick on the wrong car, some 6'4" brick outhouse :lol:

Bass is an integral part of music. Yet sadly most don't understand or hear it unless it's cranked up, boomy and tuneless.

Those of us who play or have played bass instruments spend losts of years practising to refine the art just for some twit to relegate it to silly booming noise.

I look for (indeed, I listen to) tuneful and articulate bass. I want to hear the start, the end, the pitch and the purpose of each bass note.

I also like deep bass extension in audio systems. I do not like over amplification of the low-mid audio spectrum.

Bass IS NOT BOOM BOOM THUD THUD.

It appears from more than 5m to drown out everything else! If I tried playing Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin with a lot of bass the music would be ruined. Do you just play stuff specifiaclly designed to sound good with excesive bass, or will anything do?

No the bass doesn't ruin it cause I've got components up front which is a 6.5" midrange and a tweeter and they are more than enough to compete with the bass. Honest my sounds are clean and crisp even with the bass cranked up. My stereo lets me control the subs from it so I can tune it up or down if need be....:D

bass is good and i admit ive normally got 2 subs in the boot BUT they arent turned all the way up. only to add a bit of depth to the rest of the range.
OG youve got to remember most cars that go BOOM BOOM BOOM have more dB than hp

bass is good and i admit ive normally got 2 subs in the boot BUT they arent turned all the way up. only to add a bit of depth to the rest of the range.
OG youve got to remember most cars that go BOOM BOOM BOOM have more dB than hp

lol :lol: Mine isn't wacked up full it's setup. An that is key. The setup is everything when it come to installs.:D

I like to listen to my music loud is there anything wrong with that? I don't go around at night an blast it out. I listen to my tunes mostly in daytime...

Well, actually, yes, when I don't want to hear it. It's called being considerate to others. But this is probably an age thing as I am constantly telling my son to turn the bloddy bass down! :)

No the bass doesn't ruin it cause I've got components up front which is a 6.5" midrange and a tweeter and they are more than enough to compete with the bass. Honest my sounds are clean and crisp even with the bass cranked up. My stereo lets me control the subs from it so I can tune it up or down if need be....:D

I will take your word for it :)

I will take your word for it :)

I started with 1 12inch sub. But when I put the Alpine components in they just drowned out the bass. Thats why I have 2 now and the balance is very good. But like I say it is setup for sound quality. Not just thump thump. Although it does have good tight bass. :D

I started with 1 12inch sub. But when I put the Alpine components in they just drowned out the bass. Thats why I have 2 now and the balance is very good. But like I say it is setup for sound quality. Not just thump thump. Although it does have good tight bass. :D

Wish I hadn't asked the question, now :) What the hell is 'tight bass' ?

It's punchy And quick. It means the subs can drop to the really low note very well without distortion. It means the subs are clear and not muddy or clouded out.

Ah, right, thanks. Learn something new every day, left it a little late today but made it.

get a lightweight 8" sub then, some small ones outdo the big heaver ones its mstly to do with how well the magnet works.
if the magnet is powerful in the 8" then t is possible that it could move more more air than a cheap 12" one

You can never have too much money, too many underpants, or too much bass.

(I'm a bassist, so I may well be just a bijou bit biased :lol:)

You can never have too much money, too many underpants, or too much bass.

(I'm a bassist, so I may well be just a bijou bit biased :lol:)

But if ALL you can hear is the bass, why bother with other instruments? Surely there is a balance to be had.

I wonder whether it is a primal urge thing. Back in the pre-history days, people were only able to make a small range of artificial noises (excluding vocal) using percussion tools. So the drum was popular and the deeper the tone the further it travelled. Drums were often used as warnings so when heard the adrenaline would start to flow. They were also used to prepare warriors for battle, helping to wind them up into a frenzy.

When driving a car that my son had last used, I switched on the CD player only to be accosted by music that was mostly bass. Before adjusting the balance to a more melodic setting I noticed my heart beat had risen and my body was vibrating (expect witty comments)- I could imagine my internal organs were buzzing about as well. Is this normal? If so, I would suggest that playing bass in a car would not be conducive to calm and considerate driving. Discuss.

But if ALL you can hear is the bass, why bother with other instruments? Surely there is a balance to be had.

I wonder whether it is a primal urge thing. Back in the pre-history days, people were only able to make a small range of artificial noises (excluding vocal) using percussion tools. So the drum was popular and the deeper the tone the further it travelled. Drums were often used as warnings so when heard the adrenaline would start to flow. They were also used to prepare warriors for battle, helping to wind them up into a frenzy.

When driving a car that my son had last used, I switched on the CD player only to be accosted by music that was mostly bass. Before adjusting the balance to a more melodic setting I noticed my heart beat had risen and my body was vibrating (expect witty comments)- I could imagine my internal organs were buzzing about as well. Is this normal? If so, I would suggest that playing bass in a car would not be conducive to calm and considerate driving. Discuss.

What you kept the cd in then? I like to cruise with my tunes on. An I can assure you I can hear every little detail. Loud and bassy music doesn't make me drive any different anyway. I do like lots of bass hence the 2 12inch subs. But i've got the components to match the subs and it makes for a great listening experience.:D OG you coming round to the new school music then mate.;):lol:

Hence why if you do your Sub install properly like my dual 15's you have a remote bass bost/gain control near your dash running to the amp in the boot, thus I can play my rock songs and pure bass test tracks without turning off the subs.

Some rock songs I've had as well gain soooo much from having the subs on and turn the HPF up high, get all the guitar one cord lines rattiling the back of your eye balls which is just pure win.

Hence why if you do your Sub install properly like my dual 15's you have a remote bass bost/gain control near your dash running to the amp in the boot, thus I can play my rock songs and pure bass test tracks without turning off the subs.

Some rock songs I've had as well gain soooo much from having the subs on and turn the HPF up high, get all the guitar one cord lines rattiling the back of your eye balls which is just pure win.

I'm glad I've got some back up. My head unit allows me to control the sub so I can adjust for each individual song.

What you kept the cd in then? OG you coming round to the new school music then mate.;):lol:

I didn't say how long I left it in for :)

Well, my daughter picked up on Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, Metallica, etc from me. In response, she introduced me to Radiohead, Muse, Green Day. Blink 182 and the like.

My son's music choice tends to leave me cold.

I didn't say how long I left it in for :)

I know but when you said you changed the settings for the sounds I just thought you'd come round to some new tunes... lol ;):D:D:D
Was you driving down the street with one arm at the top of the steering wheel and the other on the gearstick with the seat tilted nearly all the way back...lol :lol::lol::lol:

I know but when you said you changed the settings for the sounds I just thought you'd come round to some new tunes... lol ;):D:D:D
Was you driving down the street with one arm at the top of the steering wheel and the other on the gearstick with the seat tilted nearly all the way back...lol :lol::lol::lol:

New good tunes - Yes

New bad tunes obsessed with bass - No

It must have been the glint from my polished head that gave me away :)

not a bad mix there OG.

I like to think so. If it is good, it is good regardless of era or artist. If it is bad you can always turn up the bass :)

I just thought of an analogy.... Music and bass is like lager and temperature. The more tastless the lager, the colder it must be to be drinkable.

Last edited:
Bass doesn't mean boom and thud. Bass instruments have a place in music, whether rock, classical or Baroque. HDi is sick of people complaining about bass. He's also sick of people that don't listen properly - those are the ones that fit oversized and unerpowered bass cabs in their cars.

It's not all boom and thud that we like, start and end of each note, pitch and intonation are far more important.

Bass doesn't mean boom and thud. Bass instruments have a place in music, whether rock, classical or Baroque. HDi is sick of people complaining about bass. He's also sick of people that don't listen properly - those are the ones that fit oversized and unerpowered bass cabs in their cars.

It's not all boom and thud that we like, start and end of each note, pitch and intonation are far more important.

May I just say I agree with you there HDi an yes i might have a lot of bass but I also have clarity. Fair enough I can make my car bounce down the street with the subs, but I don't it's set up so every single note or vocal can be heard as well as some bass to give it more feeling.. My system is as happy playing classical music as it is dance music and such.:D

My headunit has a bass boost setting (JVC -> LOUD). This works well for certain types of music but it makes speech and subtle forms of music really difficult to hear. I prefer a good all round setup really.

I listen to a lot of audio plays (BBC7), comedies as well as radios 4,6 music and 1xtra so my tastes are very varied.