Why is the check engine light still on? =[

Izzek

Car
Astra 2.0 DTi
Hey people,
I have a astra 2.0 DTi and I love it. :love:
My check engine light has been on for quite a while, decided to get it sorted this week.
I changed the EGR as that was actually broken - the light stayed on :sad2:
I changed the air flow filter - the light is still on (also did MAF check x 3)
I have checked the vacuum pipe and they seem fine. Clear not splits.
Yet the light remains on, what should I check next, I am muffed by this - :blink: I really am.

Thanks for reading hope to hear from some of you soon :bigsmile:

Izzy.

Hey people,
I have a astra 2.0 DTi and I love it. :love:
My check engine light has been on for quite a while, decided to get it sorted this week.
I changed the EGR as that was actually broken - the light stayed on :sad2:
I changed the air flow filter - the light is still on (also did MAF check x 3)
I have checked the vacuum pipe and they seem fine. Clear not splits.
Yet the light remains on, what should I check next, I am muffed by this - :blink: I really am.

Thanks for reading hope to hear from some of you soon :bigsmile:

Izzy.

Most ECUs will keep the fault light on until the logged fault is forcibly cleared, even if you have successfully removed the cause of the fault.

Any decent independent garage should be able to do this for you.

A dealer will charge upwards of £60 in general for this.

If the light comes back on then there is still a fault but the garage will be able to tell you exactly what the fault is, thus removing the trial and error approach, which can be very costly.

Most ECUs will keep the fault light on until the logged fault is forcibly cleared, even if you have successfully removed the cause of the fault.

Any decent independent garage should be able to do this for you.

A dealer will charge upwards of £60 in general for this.

If the light comes back on then there is still a fault but the garage will be able to tell you exactly what the fault is, thus removing the trial and error approach, which can be very costly.

Cheers for the reply mate, I forgot to mention I had had the code cleared.
I have a mate who works at vauxhall so he does it all for free anyway. He cleared it after recodring it so even when the car is tech2 checked it shows no code, however the light is still there.

Thanks again for the reply, very helpful to someone, I am sure ;)

OK - what codes are actually showing? It's not something auxialliary, something like the A/C being below correct operating pressure, perhaps? Some OBDII readers only show OBDII codes, whereas car makers add their own make and model unique codes. Then again, your mate works directly for Vauxhall so that's not likely to be the case .

My father runs a 2002-2003 ish Astra and this has a habit of putting up fault lights for no particular reason.

Does it drive properly?

Anyways, welcome to Torquecars :)

a lad i know replaced his egr reset the code on his mk5 astra but it still stayed on. but after 2-3 days of driving the code cleared itself. it was something along the lines of the ecu had to re adjust itself

We'll have to wait and see. I am not a Vauxhall fanatic anyway, most for these reasons, they do seem to present spurious and transient things (by way of fault lights) for a needlessly long time. Hopefully, though, our new member will have his problem resolved ASAP.

a lad i know replaced his egr reset the code on his mk5 astra but it still stayed on. but after 2-3 days of driving the code cleared itself. it was something along the lines of the ecu had to re adjust itself

OK - what codes are actually showing? It's not something auxialliary, something like the A/C being below correct operating pressure, perhaps? Some OBDII readers only show OBDII codes, whereas car makers add their own make and model unique codes. Then again, your mate works directly for Vauxhall so that's not likely to be the case .

My father runs a 2002-2003 ish Astra and this has a habit of putting up fault lights for no particular reason.

Does it drive properly?

Anyways, welcome to Torquecars :)

P0400
It does now ;D I took on some of the vac tubes, 2 were blocked one was split :/ I got these replaced almost immediately.
The car seems to be going better with these changed and the egr valve, my new one came today :D
Anyway, the car seems to be going fine till I idle in it, this is when the light shows, and it stays in till about 3rd gear.
Another point is it wont let me rev above 3.5k

I do have to admit I feel a change, some idiot in a mark 5 astra decided to go 30 in a 60, so as I try to over take he speeds up, so as anyone does I put my foot down, and the car got up to 90+ No problems. And with out shaking :O

Thanks for the welcome Izzy :)

Hey, yea I was hoping the code would reset pretty fast itself it didnt and I am slightly impatient. So I took it to Mart (guy at vaux) he cleared it for me, and did a ecu check, 5 minutes after leaving the little bugger came back on :/

Izzy (=

Last edited by a moderator:
It is an odd situation. I, too, am very impatient with such issues and I do understand the frustration on your part.

I guessing that being a DTi (as opposed to a CDTi) that it's been around long enough to require annual MoT inspections. What do the emissions numbers look like? Was the last/latest gas test marginal?

Still with you, mate. One way or another this can be unravelled / reverse engineered.

Hey, yea I was hoping the code would reset pretty fast itself it didnt and I am slightly impatient. So I took it to Mart (guy at vaux) he cleared it for me, and did a ecu check, 5 minutes after leaving the little s*** came back on :/

Izzy (=

p0400 is the egr
but just cos it says egr valve does not meen it is that meens its on that system
you do the right things thou as the valave are really common to go i have done loads of them
also look for split pipes that you have done

next is to check the powers ect and make sure they are switching is only 5v and 12v but your vauxhall man should be able to check this on tech 2

p0400 is the egr
but just cos it says egr valve does not meen it is that meens its on that system
you do the right things thou as the valave are really common to go i have done loads of them
also look for split pipes that you have done

next is to check the powers ect and make sure they are switching is only 5v and 12v but your vauxhall man should be able to check this on tech 2

I have done pipes, as I said I have changed 3 of them, er looking at the others they are alright apart from the one thats pissing oil all of my clean engine :/
It was egr too, as mine was knack, had mine tested by mate at vaux and he said it was gone so changing it was the best idea to go with first, and I must admit the light is less frequent, sorry for late reply I been out in car =]
I am guess you're a luton lad, I was a luton girl ;) I was lucy farm + March. :O
Hahah, nice to see the lutonians are around still, hope all is well down the old end.

It is an odd situation. I, too, am very impatient with such issues and I do understand the frustration on your part.

I guessing that being a DTi (as opposed to a CDTi) that it's been around long enough to require annual MoT inspections. What do the emissions numbers look like? Was the last/latest gas test marginal?

Still with you, mate. One way or another this can be unravelled / reverse engineered.

Emission numers are great well where till a few hours ago possibly, I had my cat cut out D= Last test was perfect, DTi is diesel turb injection, CDTi is compact dies turb injection, CDTI cars use the more efficient common rail injection system increasing power and economy where as DTI will have a direct injection, be turbocharged and intercooled so will be less powerful and slightly less economical. So I should have gone for a CDTi but I fell in love with her tbh. =/

Thanks again mate.

I have done pipes, as I said I have changed 3 of them, er looking at the others they are alright apart from the one thats pissing oil all of my clean engine :/
It was egr too, as mine was knack, had mine tested by mate at vaux and he said it was gone so changing it was the best idea to go with first, and I must admit the light is less frequent, sorry for late reply I been out in car =]
I am guess you're a luton lad, I was a luton girl ;) I was lucy farm + March. :O
Hahah, nice to see the lutonians are around still, hope all is well down the old end.

am not from luton in bed
but in kent

if he light is coming on less might be worth giving it a few days might be clearing itself