On green lights do you still check it's clear

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When you get a green light to go at a junction do you always proceed with caution and check it's clear?

I think it's safe to say that most drivers will look but I don't think they are particularly cautious or thorough. It's usually more of a glance without really looking.

If the lights were green in both directions would there be a massive pile up?

What are your thoughts? Have you ever been inattentive at a green light?

When you get a green light to go at a junction do you always proceed with caution and check it's clear?
Yes, because I've seen to many insurance claims involving red light bandits and without proof it's impossible to tell who jumped the light. So it's better to avoid a crash in the first place.

Green only indicates that you can proceed if it is safe to do so. If you assume that every other driver is a colour blind idiot and act accordingly you will remain pretty safe.

I always check & double check! The car is pretty lively off the mark anyway so I am not really holding anyone up. Around my neck of the woods you would not believe the amount of clowns who jump red lights because a 2 minute wait represents a lifetime to them :mad:

Another trap for the unwary is where there is a right turn green arrow and a red stop light.
I have seen a few drivers take off straight and nearly collide into oncoming cars that are turning.V(

Always! You can trust yourself, but you can't trust other drivers is how I see it mostly. So many times you see people just not paying attention and being in a rush, or just being general assssholes. My car is my pride and joy, so always make sure its safe

I encounter way to many running the lights when they change to AMBER which means that you must stop where possible as it is the start of the RED cycle and not an extension of the GREEN cycle.

However if you are obeying the law and stopping on an AMBER you need to be aware of what's behind and how close as most will be expecting you to keep going and in some cases I have had to run the light to avoid ending up in a rear end collision due to how close or how big the tailgating vehicle was.

It's amazing how many drivers chance it at lights. In some places in the UK they change really quickly like London, in our home town they are quite a bit slower in the transition.

IIRC when we were over your way didn't the lights change from Red to Amber to warn drivers to be ready to go?

Red and Amber before green, amber on it's own just before a red.

8% of people are red green colour blind! Perhaps this little fact could explain the lack of correct traffic light usage.