Why do supercars exist

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Thinking about Lamborghini and Ferrari we have lots of Supercars that look very pretty, cost a fortune but seem destined to live in museums.

Isn't it better to buy a fast car you take on a track and enjoy on the roads without worrying about it getting stolen or scratched?

Do Supercars only exist to fill posters on bedroom walls? Does the development of a supercar actually benefit our cars in anyway?

Are Supercars just publicity stunts for the manufacturers?

Market forces. They exist because there is a market for them. Most 'supercars' are driven by their owners, especially middle eastern owners.

Occasionally, they are built just for the hell of it regardless of cost, the Veyron being the prime example. However, even this has turned into a profitable model, I believe, due to the high demand for them.

The Veyron showed that there was a market for very fast cars and it galvanised this end of the market with manufacturers trying to outdo each other. Build a faster car and people will buy it.

Last edited:
I kind of think of them as development mules to shake down technology which eventually winds up in 'sane' road cars.

Not sure supercar owners will like my idea of them driving around in £250,000 'projects' though :(