Who's to blame for this then...

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Here's one to ponder.

Your friend borrows your car and leaves it parked on a hill. The handbrake cable snapped and it rolls down the hill hitting another car. Who does the owner of the parked and damaged car claim from? You or your friends insurance?

Also if your friend parks your car up and it gets stolen, who's insurance do you claim from if he was using his TPO driving other cars extension?

Last edited:
Re: Most common accidents.

Friend should have turned wheels in towards kerb :)

My guess would be the owner's insurance. Once the friend has parked the car and left it it is only insured by the owner. The friend's insurance only covers third party damage whilst he is in control of it (ie in it).

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually it comes down to the "last person in charge of the car" IIRC. On your claim form you will be asked who was last in charge of the car and if they were not covered on your policy then this damage will not be.

The owner of the car could not (in most cases) have reasonably forseen the snapping of the cable so cannot be held liable.

This is I believe the reason why the Police want to see both the drivers insurance and the owner of the cars insurance if using a TPO driving other cars extension.