Which is regarded as the best year for the 3 series

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
Hi all, Whatever feature I read in any magazine or web site no matter how old it seems forever the 3 series is always regarded as the 5 star car, no with so many models spanning 40 years more or less which year is regarded as the best (Model not Engine derivative) for reliability, build quality, driver experience,comfort etc,
Cheers and merry Xmas/New year J

ive driven e30, e36, e46 and an e90. still think the e30 was probably my fav. if I could take the 3.0d engine out of e46 and stick it in an e30 = very happy Welshman lol !!

E30 all the way for me but not the best BMW you have to go further back in time for that one :)

One of my workmates drives 320 which is a D registration.
Its his daily drive and it makes 3 trips a year to Glasgow to visit his family.
I have no idea of the E number.

^^ This is my point exactly Paul, I actually owned two BMW cars in the past, even now I could not tell you what E numbers they go by :oops:

I'd have to say E46 if I was forced to pick one... but I've never actually been a BMW fan, let alone a 3 series fan. My other half has had a 318i E46 convertible and a 330Ci Coupe - and she loved them both. I can't say I ever really liked either much. I don't know why - I know they're good cars, and I know they're highly regarded by many, I just never really connected with either.

For me bmw lost the image of only successful/wealthy people can afford one in the mid 90's. And this happened cause of finance! And this is when bmw lost there prestigious appeal as the average Joe could now afford one! So ever since thenI bbmw's Mercedes audi even porsche have never had that I'm successful appeal IMHO

I don't like the badge and what other road users think of the driver. The cars are generally worthy, durable and reliable. I'd have another - buying this Passat was a big mistake - it's a money pit. And none the better for having money sunk into it. Things keep going wrong.

I have had better experiences with: Fiat; Austin; Austin-Rover; Nissan; Peugeot; Seat to name a few.

Yes, the Passat was a panic purchase but I did expect at least a little bit of the 'legendary VW reliability'.

Never a VW ever again for me.

Based on what i have learnt here i think the e30
Would be my favourite on looks anyway.
So if the badge says 318 i presume its a 1.8 litre
is that correct?

Based on what i have learnt here i think the e30
Would be my favourite on looks anyway.
So if the badge says 318 i presume its a 1.8 litre
is that correct?
nope. 318i is the model number. I always thought this, but upon working in spares shop I discovered tha it is the model number not the engine size.

I don't like the badge and what other road users think of the driver. The cars are generally worthy, durable and reliable. I'd have another - buying this Passat was a big mistake - it's a money pit. And none the better for having money sunk into it. Things keep going wrong.

I have had better experiences with: Fiat; Austin; Austin-Rover; Nissan; Peugeot; Seat to name a few.

Yes, the Passat was a panic purchase but I did expect at least a little bit of the 'legendary VW reliability'.

Never a VW ever again for me.

I was away paul, what happened to the 528 ?

Yup the 318i was indeed 1.8 with injection but just to confuse things the 316 was also 1.8 but was fed with carbs, strange but true :rofl:

Got written off thanks to a 17 year old new driver ramming me in the back. Very very hard. Floorpan bent so badly that rear drivers side door wouldn't open.

no mate, I was 18 when I worked there circa 1997/98. a customer had an e30 and wanted pads and discs for his 318i. I knew the part numbers but double checked and it was listed in the reference as having 1.6 with carbs, as you said, 1.8i and a 2.0i.

So the brake pads and discs are the same for the 316,318 and 320 then:D The only difference in enigne on the 318i was the 318is which was 16v ( M42 code ) and not 8v but was still 1797cc as i remember ( M40 code )

It was quite a popular transplant to do, That and the 3.5 from the 635csi which was interesting lol