Which colour

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
I have convinced myself that I need a 924 before the summer starts, Seem to be at rock bottom right now, But I can't decide weather it should be red or white, If it were a 944 it'll need to be white, a 911, yellow or white but I can't figure out which colour best suits the 924, Cheerso

Last edited:
Time to consider a car that actually suits your needs for the short/medium haul.

Don't I know it. If it were not for the crazy fuel prices and the thirsty engine I believe a Mondeo st220 would be the long term car for me. But My fleet is almost right, The diesel Saab estate (I cant stand) but right for Wifey and baby, The Camper (Just can't let it go though i'd love to convert a mid sized bus) And my beloved 1.8 poverty spec Mondeo (Just can't fault it as an enjoyable workhorse)

Depends. If the colour on the Red is good, then I'd go for that. The problem is, you don't want a sun faded one. So for the age, it may be worth going for the whyte

I remember quite a few years ago a mate brought his newly aquired 924 along for my viewing. I said why beige? He responded quite prickly and said it's chiffon white!

924=Audi with a Porsche badge, they share alot of parts iirc.

I remember quite a few years ago a mate brought his newly aquired 924 along for my viewing. I said why beige? He responded quite prickly and said it's chiffon white!

924=Audi with a Porsche badge, they share alot of parts iirc.

Yes the car was originally a project for Audi but things went pear shaped and it remained a porsche with vag parts bin bits such as beetle and golf suspension parts and an Audi 2 ltr engine, However the turbo for example was still based on the Audi engine but totally redesigned by Porsche and was only 0.7 seconds slower than an 911sc to 60 of the same period, but put both cars on a track and the 924 would romp home triumphant on the twisties, so in theory better car than a 911 of the same age. But it is the S model which interests me, basically a 944 in a smaller lighter body and all Porsche. Anything there is nothing wrong with old Vag products, Other peoples snobbery keeps the prices and interest down and better for the rest of us

Buy the car not the colour

If it's a 2nd user car then this must be the sensible prevailing advice.

However, would you buy a sober car such as my 528i in lemon yellow?

No. Firstly, you'd look like a complete twit.

Further, what kind of berk ordered such a car in that colour first time round?

Why did the original owner order it in that colour? (perhaps because that person was a complete twit. I'd thus have to assume that it had been maintained haphazardly, even if the service invoices are all in place and consistent.

Buy the car not the colour

I have never purchased a car for it's colour before (owned well over 60 cars) But the thing is these 924's seem more or less the same gamble and price whichever you buy so choosing a colour is easy. and Paul back in the day I had an e21 bmw in lime yellow (almost fluorescent) with Alpina stripes, it actually looked good, but I agree why do people buy these mad colours when new, It still amazes me that people buy new diesel cars, If they don't have the cash to run a petrol car how come they can afford a new car and it's depreciation........ A new BMW is eye candy but as soon as I see that D on the back I just think cheapskate who wants the neighbours to see it's a BM

The d models cost the same if not more than the petrol counterparts. Further, I'd take a 525d over my 528i wihout hesitation for performance. BMW diesel sixes are very nice indeed.

Ahem, err, I mean my Mondeo with a bodykit :)

I just don't like the chugachugachuga of a diesel pump, would you prefer a 525d over your 528i if they were the same age etc, I had a 525tds 2001 model a few years ago and it was a huge yawn and only gave mid 30's mpg vroooom vroooom trumps chugachugachuga any day of the week, there is no such thing as a dieselhead

I just tried to google dieselheads and nothing came up, petrol heads gives 2,130,000 results, I rest my case, alough in PPC a while ago in the bath the grand idea was to put a vag turbo diesel into a 924 which I thought was a great idea but hey for all that trouble why not put in a vag petrol diesel or the Audi 4.2 (I know it fits as it's been done)

I just don't like the chugachugachuga of a diesel pump, would you prefer a 525d over your 528i if they were the same age etc, I had a 525tds 2001 model a few years ago and it was a huge yawn and only gave mid 30's mpg vroooom vroooom trumps chugachugachuga any day of the week, there is no such thing as a dieselhead

The 525TDS is a million miles short of the 525d in terms of refinement and performance.

Clearly you're not especially well acquainted with, if at all, with diesel engines. My 528i goes very well indeed and I'm very used to lively cars with strong performance.

But the deep chested muscle from a high tech diesel engine is a joy to behold.

another thing which presents itself is that it seems all diesels have forced induction and petrols are n/a so it is an unfair comparrison, how would a 525d n/a compare to a 525 petrol of the same age, mileage etc, pretty poor i would guess, the same goes for a turbo diesel v a turbo petrol of the same model, (I guess mercedes must have 2 models which compare possibly subaru as well)

another thing which presents itself is that it seems all diesels have forced induction and petrols are n/a so it is an unfair comparrison, how would a 525d n/a compare to a 525 petrol of the same age, mileage etc, pretty poor i would guess, the same goes for a turbo diesel v a turbo petrol of the same model, (I guess mercedes must have 2 models which compare possibly subaru as well)

It won't happen because there's no such thing as a naturally aspirated 525d.

It is a very fair comparison - engines evolve into the best format for their type. Certain types of engine benefit others dont .
Diesels for example seem to benefit regardless of type .

This isnt the case with all petrol engines . A lot suffer from issues that diesels dont mainly because they dont work the same way most of the time.

The types of turbo and the way they work are also completely different -