Which car

theballboy

Tuner
Car
mondeo tdci
Hi all, Ive been doing some research into my new purchase this coming spring. Im looking for an all rounder really - getting as much torque/bhp as possible (will be using my bluefin remap) whilst maintaing decent mpg and not over the top insurance quotes. Looking for a good driving car too.
needs to be semi-practical too

Here are the contenders

05+ Passat 170pd tdi
05+ BMW 320d touring tdi
05+ Octavia 170pd tdi
05+ A3/4 170 tdi

Whats your choice to meeting the above

out f that list BMW or the A4 is what i would go for.
the a4 will give you the proper quatrro unlike the A3 and the passat which both utilise 4 motion rather than quatrro - rear wheels are only engaged when the front wheels have more than 1/4 turn of slip.

the passat and A4 are pretty much the same car with different badges
a3 and octavia are the same as well. different panels and badges

Last edited:
Probably the 3 series. How about a Mondeo ST TDCi? - they're accomplished all rounders. All will tune very nicely with a decent remap as well. CEltic will take the 177bhp BMW to around 225bhp

Well Im trying to save a bit of money by using my bluefin device (remap). It was bought just a few months ago for my mondeo 130tdci. superchips will reprogram for free for any other car bluefin supports if you change your car within 12 months of buying bluefin. Saves me a couple hundred quid on another remap. However bluefin only supports ford / bmw / vag really

Bottom line is I would love a 330d but worried about insurance as its group 16/17 dependent on model

If you're worried about insurance, the Octavia would probably be the cheapest there. My LE is setting me back about £500-£600 (can't remember precisely) per year.

If you're worried about insurance, the Octavia would probably be the cheapest there. My LE is setting me back about £500-£600 (can't remember precisely) per year.

As far as I know now the passat is the lowest group at 13 - octavia is actually 14 and the bmw 16 (pre 05)

Whats an LE?

Limited Edition :)

Surprised the Passat is lower, then again I don't see many so that could be why.

It often varies from insurer to insurer I've still known higher groups come out with lower premiums - figure that!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back