Which car to get?

Nightcat

Wrench Pro
Car
2005 Nissan Micra
OK. I managed to crash my previous car in a slow corner, so now I'm driving a piece of c..p called Vauxhal Astra Merit. This car is going for MOT on Monday, if it doesn't pass with a bill higher then £100 I'll go out to buy a new car.
I am looking to spend under a £1000, but would like to realy get something I will enjoy driving.

I do have an idea of what am I looking for in the car, but unfortunately I know very little about different cars.

So, any advice would be helpful.

One major thing I am looking for in a car is space, mostly width, as I don't like to be cramped and I am a prety big boy (over 6 fit tall and wide shoulders with a bit of a gut :( )

Obviously economy seems like a good idea when driving normaly (I could get my Celica to do around 30MPG in town when driven carefuly) but with plenty of power to play with when necessary.

Firmer susspencion as standart.

I also would like a car one could take out for a drift session on the track. This means a RWD or a properly set up 4WD (Misubishi Pro Evo for example). Personaly I'm more inclined to go a 4WD way.

I did have a look around ebay and a couple of things caught my eye:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250325958171
Like this Celica, But I am not sure how the power distributes between front and rear wheels.

Porshe 944 (My favourite classic), not to sure on fuel consumption though
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150310146922

I also looked at Mitsubishi Galant but not sure if it's a front or rear wheel drive (now you can reaky see the depth of my ignorance)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250326372591

Mazda MX6, but had the same problem as with the Galant
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250324620629

And having some trouble getting the engine size on RX7 as they are mostly quoted at 2.5l. But I thought they had rotary engines with a far less displacement though.

I'm not going to mension the BMWs :)

So any help on these cars would be helpful as well as any other ideas you might have.

Thnks alot

I love the Porshe 944 one of my favourite classics as well. With regards to an RX7. Your right in saying they are less displacement. But the #!#!#!#!el engine in an RX7 is a Twin Rotary. Which means It's around 1300cc per rotar which makes it in total a 2.6.... Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
That sums it up nicely. Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Suzuki (not sure there's an exciting model though), Mazda (that's a point - hunt down a 323 with the 2 litre V6!).

Thanks for all of your replyes so far :)

turbonutter69, thanks for clearing up the RX7 issue for me.

HDi fun, if you mean Mazda 323 - it doesn't qualify for a share reason of size, I hardly fit into 323s :)

Out of Subaru range there's only Impreza I know about that realy fit's to the things I'm looking for, but this one has even less character then my moms cat.

That realy leaves Toyota, Honda and Mitsubishi, but I am not sure which models of these makes to look at, except for the most obvious ones.

Is the Primera you guys were talking about a RWD?

323s are OK. If no-one needs to sit behind you, that is.

I'm 6'4" and best part of 17 stone wide so you might not be too stuck by the Primera either. That, too, is quite a compact car compared to others in its class. I had one for 8 years but my kids were very small then.

This might sound a bit crass, but, why not a Mondeo? There's loads for sale so prices are very competitive.

What about other Nissan models? Theres the 200sx "my fave" The 300zx or the 350z. All of these are rear wheel drive and all come with the option of a turbo too. Great for a bit of drifting action. An some 300zx's are twin turbo's which is a bonus. :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

THe 300ZX is getting on in its years. Find a good Turbo and you have a car that can pace with a 911 yet be as benign a Corolla. Granny could use it for weekly shopping trips and never notice the 300bhp on offer. You can even see out of the back! Unlikely to find a sound one for £1k though

I drove 323 and it definately lacking those extra inches cars like old shape Celica have.

Mondeo is too soft, like all the americans.

I will look more deeply into Nissans, but at 3 litters 300ZX is hardly going to be economical.

I guess you guys guaranteed me a couple of hours on google :)

i dont think the galant is rwd

as for which vtec,
it seems you want a big car, thats eco, and has power
euro r mate

4 door saloon, 223 bhp and eco as a 1.6 if driven normally
you mighten beleive it, but that engiene is so big = 2.2 that it uses #!#!#!#! a;ll power to carry its weight
i got 3 hours driving for 20 euro the other night, and that was driving mostley in vtec
and that has the same engiene as the euro r, and preludes are just as heavy

another would be a integra type r, i never had 1, i prefered the civic, but still an alright size car, plus the teg, even though has a 1.8, probably the fastest out of the whole vtec range, bar a s2000 or nsx, but there silly money
the teg had and as far as i know still holdes the record for been the best handeling fwd car in the world,
and the civic type r is some handeling car

im on about 1997 to 2002 models here mate
and the best thing to do is take a test drive of all of them, you'll understand it better
they are the all in 1 package

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back