When should one retire from motorsport ?

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
I am looking forward to being able to have another year enjoying driving my FN2 at track days and closed road events even though many would say that at my age I should be playing bowls or bingo like so many around my age.

But I am in good health workout at my gym 3-5 days a week starting with a 5 minute plank followed by 30 minutes rowing and with weights on alternate days and watch what I eat to be as fit as I am.

I firmly believe that if one thinks that one should act their age and slow down then they will be and act old .

I never feel worried or frightened heading onto the track and always try to beat or equal my previous lap times.

You are as old as you feel IMHO. As long as your reflexed and health allow you to drive safely keep on it.

Age is not as good an indicator of ability or acuity as health.

If you haven't grown up by 30 you don't have to is my motto!

Thanks Eddie |B It's all about enjoyment and trying not to be slow and had a good days driving as fast as possible and finding out more about the car and myself.
Unfortunately since then have caught Covid and was feeling better and the dam thing has got me again.

Thanks Eddie |B It's all about enjoyment and trying not to be slow and had a good days driving as fast as possible and finding out more about the car and myself.
Unfortunately since then have caught Covid and was feeling better and the dam thing has got me again.
Ah damn sorry to hear mate, think I've caught that or some virus (everyone seems to be catching something lately)..... hopefully it's not too bad your end.

Heading off again to Morgan Park an app 2 +hour tow away from home for another practice day on Wednesday to do some more laps and work on smoothing out my corner lines.MP has a lot of elevation changes as well as many different types of corners many of them off camber , some very tight others quite open and fast but challenging if you want to set a competitive time. There will be 20 minute sessions and the last time there I experienced brake fade for the first time so I need to upgrade the fluid from Motul RBF600 to Motul RBF 700 as I suspect that the fluid might have boiled as my Forza FP3 pads are good for 800 deg. Unfortunately my Honda does not have cold air ducting to the inside of the discs like my old track day Starion that helped keep the heat in check.

Did you fit braided hoses to the brake lines? Hope you have a fun time there, keep us posted.

Did you fit braided hoses to the brake lines? Hope you have a fun time there, keep us posted.

Definitely have the SS braided lines for better pedal feel.
I have blead and flushed the fluid lines from RBF600 deg fluid and upgraded to Motul RBF 700 deg fluid and did discover some air bubbles when I was doing it as overheating the fluid can cause air bubbles to appear so I will be bleeding them after every track day especially if there were long hot lap sessions in order to get fresh fluid at the caliper pistons.

FYI There are many ways & gadgets to use or do bleeding brakes and I had SPEED BLEEDER nipples on my old car and need to get them for my Honda to make life a bit easier but in the meantime I get 1 way fish tank valves and insert them into the clear plastic hose to the nipple so when the pedal is pumped and released no old fluid is drawn back into the calipers.

Definitely have the SS braided lines for better pedal feel.
I have blead and flushed the fluid lines from RBF600 deg fluid and upgraded to Motul RBF 700 deg fluid and did discover some air bubbles when I was doing it as overheating the fluid can cause air bubbles to appear so I will be bleeding them after every track day especially if there were long hot lap sessions in order to get fresh fluid at the caliper pistons.

FYI There are many ways & gadgets to use or do bleeding brakes and I had SPEED BLEEDER nipples on my old car and need to get them for my Honda to make life a bit easier but in the meantime I get 1 way fish tank valves and insert them into the clear plastic hose to the nipple so when the pedal is pumped and released no old fluid is drawn back into the calipers.
can you attach a picture of your fish tank valves???? That sounds like a great idea! I have speed bleeders on my corvette, but I work on my wife's car, too. (I might buy some, repackage them as "Racer Parts" and mark the price up 400%! )

can you attach a picture of your fish tank valves???? That sounds like a great idea! I have speed bleeders on my corvette, but I work on my wife's car, too. (I might buy some, repackage them as "Racer Parts" and mark the price up 400%! )
Mate am not a puter geek and don't know how to post pics so all you need to do is go to your nearest pet supply store and ask .