Do you rev match on down changes and why you should ?

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
It seems to be a dying art but it is most important for the following reasons especially in a Front Wheel Drive vehicle with a manual transmission.

When the brakes are applied there is an immediate weight transfer to the front wheels which helps reduce stopping distances by giving the front tyres more grip BUT the rear end is suddenly lightened as the nose dives and the rear lifts and reduces the grip of the rear tyres. This can be especially dangerous if the car is turning and can result in a spin/loss of control.This is what is called "lift off oversteer" and most will brake harder if possible when in a FWD one needs to add power to pull the car back into line.

An experienced driver can use lift off oversteer assist turn in.

If one is down shifting at the same time and does not rev match then when the clutch bites the motor will be at idle and it will be instantly increased to say 3500 revs this will suddenly add even more the weight on the front and increase lightness to the rear due to compression braking.

I have spoken to many drivers and some are oblivious as to which end drives it so is it any wonder when they say "the car suddenly lost control" when in reality they "lost control" due to their ignorance and lack of understanding of the basics ??

Sadly driving "stick" is a dying art :(

That 's right Lunchy |B BUT what one does all the time at low speeds soon becomes an ingrained habit so they will almost certainly do the same at higher speeds IMO

Last edited:
Yes I always try to rev match. It's easier in my petrol compared to my old diesel which tended to hang on to the revs.

Auto boxes have come a long way and new paddle shift autos are better than 90% of drivers using a manual shift.

IMO driving a manual really well and smoothly with fine pedal control is more involving as well as satisfying to an enthusiast and when I get everything just right it makes me :)

I mentioned this to the wifelet and she said I already do it nearly everytime, both up and downshifting!
Didnt even notice :rofl:

Older drivers got into the habit of doing this as old gearboxes were not as slick and refined as newer ones are.

Modern drivers are oblivious to the need thanks to syncromesh and don't realise the extra wear and tear they are putting on the gearbox.