When kids grow up and get cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
My step brother in law took the family out at the weekend. A 70 mile drive with a recently passed 20 year old was an experience! He only came off the pavement twice though :confused: :lol: (not really!)

I taught him to ride a bike so I felt pretty old when he drove us to our get together!

I'm not knocking learner drivers or young drivers at all. You just pick up some things with experience that just cannot be taught. I noticed that the ability to read the road ahead and predict what other cars are doing were missing.

A few times we had to brake hard where I would have eased off miles back. He also seemed a little jerky on the steering which I remember doing myself.

Fluid steering movements seem to come with experience.

What other things to you take for granted that you see the inexperienced missing? Have you ever had a similar experience to me?

I have even noticed those things in my self over the years. My wife recently past her test and I bought her first car. God that was a scary experiance

Changing lanes on an A road or motorway is like doing an S bend at your local track quite scary really and your right about few obsitcules ahead. I like to think I have got very good at that sort of thing but its only something you gain from experiance really.

My wife has been driving for over a year now and I can see her improving in all these areas when I actually let her drive when I am in the car which to be honest isnt very often lol

Thats only in my car and shes not allowed to drive that one and I am not going to spend that money on her car when I can spend it on my own

I am selfish like that lol

Hahaha lmao @ Econ! Well done that man! :lol:

I think a lot of new drivers lack confidence. I passed my test over 2 years ago now and my confidence on the road just keeps improving. I also drive a lot safer compared to when I had just passed. My sister recently passed her test and she seems scared evertime she drives. She's been driving about 3 months now at least but still seems nervous and shaky. She's also very hesitant and will drive very slow on duel carriageways. In my eyes, even though she passed with less tests than I did, I am a much safer driver.

I was nervous the first days after I got my test and I can still feel that I lack the experience in a few things. The first weekend I was driving I got pretty nervous because that was the car days weekend but when I saw that I could manage that I got more confident and my driving is allways improving but I wouldn't say that I was a perfect driver and won't be for a few years. Probably nobody gets perfect at this because of the enviromental factors and more...

my daughter is 5 and already im teaching her how to drive
she sits on my laps and steers the car out of the terrace

i was amazed to see her flicking the indicator, wrong direction though, but shows you how kids actually tune in to your actions

teach them young is what i say
when she hits 18, she will be a pro

Unfairly... it is cheaper!!
sorry to say fellas, but womens insurance will always be cheaper

this is down to the facts prince

when women crash, its more than likley a little tip
when men crash, its more than likley a tragidy

but what insuranse companies fail to see is
most crashes are caused by women and more crashes involve women
not saying all men are better than women drivers, because i can vouch
for a lot of women drivers that would put men to shame

example of me and the gf

she got quoted for the prelude 800 euro per anum
im older, got more ncb than the gf and guess what happened when i rang for a quote

yeah, you guessed it,,, we cant insure you on that car
and who had done more damage to the car,correct again the gf

this descrimanation kind of thing has been brought up and insuranse companies have said the reason why its cheaper for women is
when women crash, its more than likley a little tip
when men crash, its more than likley a tragidy. the young boy driver of today has a life span of 25 when he gets behind the wheel
IC have then to pay out for damages and loss of life

so mate your not alone, us men just have to get on with it

another thing i forgot to mention
\
gf on the prelude 2.2 with me under her = 800 euro
her dad driving since the 80s with more ncb than i had hot dinners
drives a 1.4 citreon = 500 euros

im not complaining, but wheres the justice in that

depends on who your with
wife 25year old 1.6 golf (105bhp) - just under £300 thats with 5 years NCB and pass plus license for 7 years - social domestic and comuting
me 24 yar old 1.8t bora (180bhp) - £451 a year with 3 years NCB and license for 5 years - Buisness class 1
did some quotes last week after the car was hit to see what the damage might be

25yo - exactly the same details (changed date of birth to 83 instead of 84, and NCB to 4 instead of 3) £310.

granted by then hers will have dropped a bit more.

However a coule of years ago her brother was selling his 2.5 MG. Both of us looked at it, it was cheaper for her to insure but only by £20 a year

one thing i have noticed is the newer drivers tend to hug the outside line rather than in the center of thier lane when traffic is coming. My wife nearly drove me insane when i frist let her drive my truck. thought she was gonna put us in the river everytime an oncomming vehicle showed its headlights.